⚜Chapter 24⚜

Live Or Let Die

❇❇❇❇

We're all fragile in our minds. What makes us strong and indestructible are the people we surround ourselves with, the people that we call family. And family is all we have.

❇❇❇❇

Southern Romania; 1501 A.D.

"Father, that was exhilarating!" A sixteen-year-old boy exclaimed making his father laugh as he patted his son's back.

"I told you, Kaleb, the first few turns are the most exceptional ones." Young Kaleb nodded with his forest green eyes crinkling in happiness as he looked up at his father whilst they made their way back into their village.

"Father?" 

Rupert, Kaleb's father, hummed as he looked at his son to continue, "When was your first turn?" Kaleb asked innocently.

Rupert smiled, "It was centuries ago, my son. I no longer remember the time, or the day but I shall never be able to forget the joy I felt when I first turned. My father was there to help me, you see. He made it feel glorious."

"Why did Papa stop turning? What made him give up his nature?" Kaleb asked after a while as he saw his father sigh sadly.

"My father, your Papa was a very...proud man. He respected and admired strength and only strength and his one weakness was the love he bore for his family. For myself and my siblings. And most of all, he loved our mother. He loved her so much that no one dared question anything she did. They were all scared of his wrath if they did." Rupert chuckled before his eyes were taken over by sadness.

"So, when she died, he did not feel the need to go on. He stopped turning and then his age caught up to him quickly." He concluded making Kaleb look surprised and saddened. This was the first time he was listening to this story.

"How old was Papa before he stopped turning?" Kaleb asked curiously.

Rupert chuckled, "Almost three thousand years, fiul meu, your Papa lived for almost three thousand years. Ever since the dark goddess turned our clan into wolves."

Kaleb's eyes widened listening to that. Rupert laughed at his reaction right before his sensitive hearing caught something and he stopped Kaleb by placing a hand on his chest.

"What is it, father?" 

"Someone is being tormented. Stay behind me!" Saying this, Rupert ran in the direction the sounds were coming from and as instructed, Kaleb stayed behind him.

Upon reaching a clearing, the father and son duo saw a blonde headed man kneeling down on the ground as he tried and failed to shield himself from the torturous magic that a coven of witches was putting him under. 

Seeing the injustice happening, Rupert motioned for Kaleb to step beside him as he extended his claws. Kaleb nodded and did the same.

They sped to the gaggle of lunatic witches and clawed their backs as they fell one after another thus freeing the man from their magical hold.