26

I heavily reconsidered my plan as I crept through the royal wing

I heavily reconsidered my plan as I crept through the royal wing. There was no guarantee that Carlos would be in the library. I desperately needed to tell him what had happened, why I had missed the ball. 

The ball had ended and the palace was virtually quiet. I had spent almost 4 hours in the Ladies' Salon and was filled with rage. Esme wasn't getting off easy. If I stayed, I would make her pay. 

My stomach flipped as I reached the royal library. Looking to see if anyone was headed my way, I knocked on the door. 

"Come in," Carlos' voice wafted in from the inside. 

Relief encompassed me as I pushed the door open, his eyes wide as he realized it was me. 

"Madeline! Where have you been?" He asked, putting down the book he was reading. 

I told him everything. From the cryptic note slid under my door to my escape.

"So Lady Esme locked you in the Ladies' Salon?" Carlos raised his eyebrows. 

I nodded. "Can't she be locked away in some dungeon?" 

"It's not always that easy, Madeline," Carlos paced around the room. "You don't have any proof Esme locked you away, do you?" 

I sighed. I didn't. Besides, even if I did, Esme's powerful father would probably have her out of the dungeon in seconds. Either way, I had bigger problems to deal with. 

"Esme is the least of our worries now. You didn't attend The Demi Ball and that's against the rules of the competition," Carlos sighed. 

"Even if I was locked in a salon by a crazy brat?" I pushed. 

"I promise I will try my best, Madeline. But I can't guarantee anything," Carlos explained. 

"So...this might be goodbye?" I realized.  

Carlos nodded, his eyes meeting mine. 

*** 

The day after The Demi Ball was The Cut. I woke up with a heavy heart, though I wasn't sure why. I couldn't understand why I was so disappointed. I came into the competition hoping to get sent home at The Cut. That was the most that was expected of me. Now, I regretted the dinner, desperate for a way to stay. I didn't know why I wanted to stay. It wasn't entirely for the books in the royal library. I would miss Fiona, Amancio and even Carlos- something I never expected I'd feel. 

"Lady Madeline," Imogen and Lucy sing-songed, waking me from my groggy state. 

I sat up in my bed, blinking quickly in order to fully awaken. 

They didn't know. 

"How was The Demi Ball? We want to hear all the details!" Lucy squealed. 

I sighed. "That's the thing. I didn't attend The Demi Ball." 

"What?!" Imogen and Lucy exclaimed simultaneously.