008 | i'm hungry

she was an ocean of sunsets and riptides

THE PRACTICE MATCH WENT BETTER than Mizuki expected

THE PRACTICE MATCH WENT BETTER than Mizuki expected. The third-year stood to the side, leaning against the wall with a notebook in her hand, eyes trained firmly on each player, analysing every spike they preformed, every block they executed, and every receive they made. She was glad to see that none of the players were panicking. They were all on in their zone, moving as one the flow constant and the intensity apparent. It suffocated the whole gymnasium, coiling around their opponent's throats, beckoning fear into their souls.

Mizuki noted how Nishinoya slowly incorporated the different receives he was perfecting into the match. When he managed to pick up the feint, Mizuki cracked a smile, jotting down her thoughts on a new training idea. She also noticed how Kageyama's sets with the others, especially Asahi, were becoming more and more on point. She was glad to see their Ace was adjusting and becoming more comfortable with using different spikes. All in all, she was quite proud.

But there was only one problem.

Shōyō Hinata.

She circled his name in her book, the corner of her lip pulled between her teeth. Mizuki witnessed his quick quite a lot, and while she was proud of how the two were developing and improving, she just knew that they would become a formidable duo if the little crow could open his eyes and see the court before him.

Until then, Mizuki would have him work on his jumps and his spikes.

"THANK YOU VERY MUCH!"

When the other team departed, Mizuki went with them; however, she didn't return home. She sauntered into their school, heading towards the staff breakroom. The lavenderette had dropped off the box of treats in the fridge earlier in the afternoon, deciding to give it to the boys after their match as a reward.

"It's still here," she sighedthankfully once she opened the fridge and spotted the large box. She grabbed ahold of it and closed the door with her foot, returning back to the gymnasium, mindful of her steps. Mizuki didn't want to ruin any of the treats her aunt had made specifically for the team. She put in a lot of effort — for what reason? Mizuki wasn't sure.

Shuffling the box onto one arm, Mizuki reached around and slid open the gigantic metal door, the screeching sound gathering everyone's attention. The boys all stared at the lavenderette in curiosity. She headed towards the stage area, the younger (and shorter) ones following after her with intrigued glints in their eyes.

"Uh, Sayeko-san, what's in the box?" Tanaka asked, pointing at the object. He and Nishinoya trailed behind her like eager puppies, brows furrowed and heads tilted to the side. The said girl placed the white box on the stage, releasing a puff of air as she brushed a few strands of hair away from her face, the strain on her arms lifting.