30

"Number Five"

"You know... I never took joy in it."

Five, Winnie, and Luther sat in a classic black car on the side of an old, dusty road. Luther's massive form was hunched into the drivers seat with Five beside him. Both men were particularly alert and focused on their surroundings, acting as the true professionals they were raised to be.

Winnie, on the other hand, was sprawled across Fives lap; legs propped up on the medium, uniform skirt hitched high, and a pair of headphones blasting a good song. She was painting the length of her leg with vibrant chaotic colors as she hummed along to the music.

"The killing I mean," Five continued, his eyes flicking over to Winnies hands. "I was very good at my job, but I never took pleasure in it."

Luther's eyes didn't leave the road, but they both knew he was listening. Their interaction at the house had left a bad taste in both of their mouths. Five just wanted to clear the air; Strictly speaking he was a murderer, he didn't want to be seen as that cold and uncaring.

"I think it was the years alone.... Solitude does funny things to the mind." Five explained softly.

"Well you were gone for such a long time." Luther frowned, "I was only on the moon for 4 years and that was enough... Its the being alone that breaks you. Changes you."

"We certainly have changed since we were kids." Five conceded ironically.

Winnie shuffled around for a moment after that, holding a paint brush between in her humming lips as she aggressively touched up the corner of her leg with her fingers. She was utterly unaware to the world then, oblivious to everything outside of the painting at her fingertips. Five smiled fondly.

"Not her though, eh?" Luther sighed dryly. He caught Fives soft expression as he turned to watch Winnie paint as well.

"She hasn't changed a bit."

Five chuckled and looked up at the man, smiling slyly, like he knew a juicy little secret. "You think so?"

Luther pinched his brow, but didn't ask. Certainly, there are some things in life Luther would rather leave a mystery. Not a lot... but some, and whatever it was that made little Winnie Hargreeves tick- sat snugly within that category. 

He cleared his throat and nodded at the suitcase next to Winnie, "You really think this will work?"

"Well... I know that they are desperate." Five said in a matter-of-fact tone, "Its like a cop losing his gun. If the commission finds out, they'd be in deep shit."

He then tipped his head and shrugged, "Not to mention they'll be stuck here until they get it back."

"Well then I should hold onto it." Luther said.

Five looked up at him in confusion, "Hm?"

"I should hold onto it... in case they make a move on you or try to harm Winnie." Luther said, squaring his shoulders surely, as if affirming his intent.

"Ok Luther...But be careful. I mean... Ive lived a long time, but you're still a young man. You have your whole life ahead of you." Five spoke with the wisdom of his long, experienced life....but without a proper 'long, experienced' body to make it seem sensical.