-22-

"So, we have two Emeralds," Detonator said, juggling the Emeralds between his hands. Shadow grabbed one with a growl and the panther resorted to tossing the one he had back and forth. "But we just lost two agents. You two up for a retrieval? We'll let you barge in, nice and loud while the rest of your squad goes in for a rescue."

"I'm pretty loud," (Y/n) said, grinning.

"Believe me, mate, I know. That's why you're perfect for the job. So are you up for it?"

"You know it."

"No." The pair looked at Shadow. "This could go wrong in so many ways. You sent me and (Y/n) into an equally dangerous facility and we walked out without a scratch. You send in two powerful agents and they get captured rather easily. Clearly, they're waiting for us now, and I'm not risking her safety."

"Excuse me?" (Y/n) said, putting her hands on her hips. "I can take care of myself."

"I know that," the dark hedgehog said crossly, his bottom lip puckering.

"Then why are you-" He glared at her and she tilted her head.

"I'm not going to argue about this," he said. "They're using you and I don't want to hear about it."

"I'm trying to help my friends."

"These are trained agents and I trust them to do the job." (Y/n) shook her head.

"They're going to need us," she said. "I know I can act as a good distraction. No way they'll be prepared for my screams like they are in the future." Shadow opened his mouth but she suddenly slapped her hand over it. "Do you hear me?"

"(Y/n), I-"

She opened her mouth and Shadow ducked. The scream was short lived and Shadow covered his face, his breaths coming out heavier. "I just don't think I'll be enough to protect you if you need my help," he breathed.

"Whoa, crazy blokes!" Detonator shouted, his tail lifting irritably. "Stop fighting! Shadow, I understand your concern. You care for her like I care for Teleporter-"

"No, I don't," he hissed, lifting his head and dropping his hands. "I just don't want Faker getting on me for not bringing her back in one piece."

"Faker...?"

"Sonic. He and her were-" (Y/n) shot him a glare.

"Ever heard of dating?"

"From Rouge...."

"Well then, you should know that you don't solidify your relationship after one kiss. The amount of people who marry the person they have their first kiss with is not actually that high. Or at least, I don't think so. And, on top of that, I never predicted that I'd be having relationships with hedgehogs." Shadow's cheeks tinted red at the end statement.

"When you put it that way," Detonator said, smirking. 

"Anyway. You get my point. Maybe I was with Sonic at the time, but things can change.

"What are you saying...?"

"Don't call me and Sonic an item." Though the AI spoke in a monotone voice, the expressions on the (a/t)'s face gave it the emotion that made one of Shadow's ears twist back awkwardly. 

"Okay, with that argument out of the way," Detonator said, straightening. "How about we get back to the mission? Shadow, (Y/n) has made it clear she wants to go. However, you can pose as her wingman through the whole thing if it makes you more comfortable. You two will create an opening for the rest of the squad so that they can go in and rescue our friends. Sound good?" (Y/n) nodded and Shadow grumbled in agreement. 

"While we're on the topic of missions," the panther continued. "How would you two like to take a field trip to the other side of the globe?" 

~

They journeyed to the facility in which Teleporter and Silver were being held. They weren't actually sure the pair was still there, which worried them since the organization holding the Emeralds had been moving them around and it was quite possible they'd do the same with the prisoners. 

But they were still going to try. 

"Make a lot of noise," Detonator said as they got out of their transportation and ran over to the doors, pressing to the walls out of sight of the security cameras. "We're going to search the building while you're at it." 

Shadow and (Y/n) nodded, glancing at each other before turning to the doors. Shadow kicked one down while the (a/t) busted the other with a loud shriek. They ran inside, already being confronted by the security guards. 

"Who's ready to rumble?" Shadow said, planting a fist against his palm. (Y/n) grinned and Shadow ran forward, clearing a path straight through the center of the guard squad while she cleared the ones on the side with a loud scream. Detonator and the rest of the spy squad raced inside, following Shadow as he cleared through the small army. (Y/n) stayed behind to make sure the stragglers stayed down. 

Shadow reappeared beside her a moment later skidding a stop. "That should give them some time," he said, brushing his hands off. "Let's make sure they have enough of it." 

One of the guards tried to stand up but Shadow simply flashed him a menacing look and he fell limp, though eyeing the dark hedgehog. "You're Project Shadow," he breathed. Shadow turned fully to face him, bending down. 

"I am the Ultimate Lifeform," he corrected. "And if you tell anyone that you saw me, I will personally find you and make sure you know who I am." The guard's eyes widened slightly and he gave a tiny nod. (Y/n) put her hand on her partner's shoulder and he stood up. 

"Of course they're not here," Detonator growled, running back to them. "They knew we were coming for them." 

"This just keeps getting harder and harder," (Y/n) said. "How many Emeralds do we need for time travel?

"Not quite sure," Detonator said. "We could ask the time traveller, but, you know, he's not here!" He rubbed a hand down his face. He curled his other hand into a fist and opened it, revealing one of his bombs. "I'm going to leave a little parting gift for these blokes." He then turned and hurled the bomb down the hallway. "Let's get out of here!" 

They ran out just as the bomb detonated, sending a few of the last agents flying forward a few feet. They landed it, however and they managed to get out before another squad of security tore after them. 

"I think we should postpone our Emerald mission across the globe to find our friends," (Y/n) said. "They could be in serious trouble. Silver has telekinesis! Why on Mobius would he have been captured so easily with Teleporter unless they were fully prepared for them?

"I wasn't there for her," Detonator hissed, squeezing his arms. "I was so wrapped up in my own selfish thoughts that she got captured and may be halfway across the globe where I can't reach her. Why was I so stupid?" 

"I know...I know how you feel," Shadow said, staring at his hands. 

"I'm going to get her back," the panther growled. He glanced at Shadow. "And you know what I said about casualties?" Shadow nodded. "I'm going to break my own rule. Because when I get my hands on the leader of this gang, he's going to wish he'd never laid a finger on Teleporter."