Epilogue | Bad Father

Alice

"I'm pregnant."

So easy come on Alice. Just say the words. It will be so easy.

"Do you like it?" Nick asks looking up from his plate and I jump.

"Yes, I love it! super delicious. Thank you! I love you!" I say quickly bouncing my knee under the table.

He raises an eyebrow at me from my awkward outburst but continues to eat the dinner anyways.

"So Nick honey... ever uh... been to the store and sometimes you go past those sticks... you know women buy and- well, ok let me start over. You know how a few weeks ago in bed we... ya know when we...made l-" I start to say and fiddle with my wedding ring nervously. He stops mid-bite.

"A tampon? Alice you already embarrassed me when I asked what it was especially when I found out you put it up inside-" He starts saying with a groan.

"What? No! I'm not talking about tampons Nick." I say loudly and my cheeks flush red.

He looks even more confused than before. Then his furrowed eyebrows slowly draw together in realization.

"Oh..." He smiles standing up which pushes his chair out loudly. "I get it."

"You do?" I ask hopefully. I look up at his towering frame and he slowly walks in front of me.

He leans down and starts to kiss my neck. "Yeah, I got what you were saying." He says with his husky voice he uses when we are tangled up in sheets.

"Oh thank god, I was so nervous!" I state standing up and wrapping my arms around his neck pulling him into a hug.

"Alice, why were you nervous to ask what we do like every night?" He laughs and goes back to peppering kisses to my neck.

My eyes widen and I grab his head and pull it away from me. "Wait Nick I'm not talking about sex!" I yell frustrated.

"Okay now I'm really confused first it was tampons now you don't want to have sex with me a-" He asks bewildered.

"I'm pregnant!" I yell at this idiot I've seem to have fallen in love with.

My head falls to his chest too afraid of seeing his reaction. Nick started to say recently how he didn't want kids.

I feel tears in my eyes. What if he makes me... get rid of our wonderful creation? What if he leaves me?

I feel his arms slowly wrap themselves around my waist. "What..?" he whispers and I grip his shirt tightly afraid he'd bolt out the door.

"I'm pregnant with your child Nick," I state again and I hear him intake a sharp breath of air.

"Damn right that's my child." He snaps and I feel more tears in my eyes.

"My wife is pregnant!" He suddenly yells and I jump away from him shocked wiping my eyes.

"You're not mad?" I ask and he tackles me in a hug.

Suddenly he lifts me off the ground and spins me around. "You're pregnant." He whispers when he finally sets me to my feet holding me tightly in his strong arms.

I look up into his warm blue eyes that are glistening with tears. I've only seen him cry once and that was when his father died last year. Nick never had a good relationship with him. In fact, it was horrible but he still went to the funeral and when I asked why he said because it was his father.

I remember holding his hand at the cemetery as he cried silent tears. Tears because his father laid his hands on him many times. Tears because he was never a good father. Yet Nick went to his funeral.

"Really though Nick you are not mad?" I whisper and he holds me tighter.

"You know I could never be mad at you. You're holding my child." He smiles and gets on his knees.

"Woah there..." I laugh when he starts to kiss my stomach. He stands up kissing my lips and hugging me again. "But Nick you said you didn't want kids?" I say sadly and he frowns in response.

"I never said I didn't want kids, I'm just not ready for them... but seeing the circumstances I'll be ready if you are. I'm just scared I'll be a bad father. I didn't have a good one growing up and we know that." He sighs running a hand through his thick hair.

I stand on my toes holding his jaw. "Nick you will be nothing like your father," I tell him honestly. "I know, you'd never lay a bad hand on our baby," I say truly. "You're not your father."

His eyes access mine. "Our baby." He repeats and his mouth twitches in a smile.

"You're having a baby. My child! Alice, I love you!" He yells again getting re-hyped up.

I laugh as he quickly walks me to the couch and pushes me down.

"Nick What are you doing." I laugh and he lifts my feet up onto our coffee table. He then brings over my favorite fluffy blanket.

"You need to rest... I don't know how pregnancy works but women get uncomfortable easily right? I want you to be comfortable at all times I'll make sure of it." He says determination clear in his tone as he fluffs the pillow behind me.

"I should call Logan. He's probably on his date with Sophie though. I'll just call Nelson instead... he has all of those pregnancy books Gen made him read. I'll need those. Are you comfortable Alice? Let me know if you need anything." He says looking around for his phone frantically and I smile up at him.

"Nick you need to calm down. And leave Logan alone he's 16 and wants to hang out with his girlfriend without interruptions. Don't bother him. And don't worry too much about me the stress is bad for the baby." I tell him patting the spot next to me and he reluctantly sits down.

He kisses my cheek. "I'm sorry. I love you Mrs. Alice Adams" he jokes using his last name that he gave to me on our wedding day.

"I love you more Mr. Adams."

~~
4 years later

"No left. Then over the side. Alice you are supposed to- just let me do it." Nick demands and carefully moves me out of the way.

"But I can-" I huff annoyed as Nick adjusts the diaper on Roslyn's small and squirming body. We named her after my grandmother.

"Yeah, but who read the parenting books." Nick boasts with a smirk as he finally has the diaper on right.

"Yeah like 3 years ago," I mumble and move the loose strands of hair away from my eyes.

"Cory!" I call and my firstborn son comes bouncing into the room with his father's same dark hair and blue eyes.

"Mommy!" He smiles and runs into my arms. I hold him even though my stomach has gotten quite large since child number 3 is on the way.

"Rosie." Cory giggles and leans down to place a kiss to her small cheek.

"You're a good brother Cory," Nick says cradling our little Rose in his large arms.