Chapter 3: Home sweet home

"So, what do you think? It look good?" Max's dad asked as he looked over the room he hadnt seen since he was little. It was filled with his clothes, all of his things and his bed. Miraculously everything seemed to be in the places he liked them.

"Yeah it..it looks good, thank you. I could've unpacked when i got here, you know?"

"Dont be so tough, mijo. You just got off bed rest. Fucking cancer. Helping you out isn't a crime."

"I know." Is all he could get out then.

He'd gotten out of the hospital earlier that morning after having been there all summer. It was a week until school began.

He was still sick of course but he was stable for now. Enough to get back to his life.

It was probably stupid to think about but he was glad he had some time to adjust before having to go back. Seeing his friends, people. Seeing the boys. Fucking sucked to think about.

"You remember this room when you were young, si?"

"Mhmm. Its good." The conversation dulled. Max scratched at his weirdly smooth head, plopping onto his bed. His father joined him after some time.

"Have you talked to your Grandma?" Max nodded, plucking at his laces. He was lucky he gained some of his weight back. His shoes were starting to get big on him.

"You know why your here?"

"Kinda."

"Well. You were very sick. And they are very old. They cannot care for you all the time. Can't help if something happens. And you know your mom, she..you couldn't stay there."

His father looked to him, trying to explain. He continued on about how he understood things were complicated with his step mother and siblings but they were all family and Max needed people. That moving in was for the best.

Max nodded along, thoughts wondering.

There was a bean bag chair in front of his tv that wasn't there before. His videogames were stacked in order of his most favorite to least favorite games and he had a new wireless controller on his game stand.

None of these things are stuff his dad would know.

There was also his grandparents' whole bullshit, this is for the best speech. They both knew the reason he was kicked out and moved without a word or so much as a visit.

Yeah, they didnt visit once.

He covered for them, telling his father about the visitors he got, including his grandparents. He didnt want to deal with the drama of it. They didnt want to be there, that was it.

Max found himself wanting to speak up at his father. Tell the truth.

It is personal. Im gay, they think im a sinner, they don't like my 'decisions'.

"Mijo." He shook his head, looking in his fathers direction. He received an uncertain smile. "Im glad your home. Feels like..a chance. To make things up with you. You have no idea how happy I am, hm?" Max stared in shock as his dad began to cry. He was pulled into a side hug, the big man tearing silently, holding his son.

His arms hovered at the guys' sides, not sure what to do. But he couldn't pretend he hadn't needed it.

"Yo Grandpa, get out!" His brother complained when he barged in, tapping away on his monitor. Luis had visited a few times, seen some of his PT workouts, walker and all. The name had stuck since then.

Max didnt mind though. He was an angry brat who didnt take much seriously. Knowing his brother had cancer well..everyone processed differently, he guessed.