Chapter 23: Truth or Dare

Chapter 23:

Although Rina was ecstatic that she was part of the girls' volleyball club now, she would be lying if she said she wouldn't miss hanging out with the boys in the volleyball club. She had become great friends with Hinata, Kageyama, Tanaka, and Nishinoya. She even admired the third-years and believed that they would make it to nationals despite their devastating loss against Aoba Johsai during Interhigh.

"Suzuki-chan, can you get us the mops from the other gym?" One of her teammates chimed in, "I think the boys borrowed them but never returned it."

"On it!" She shouted enthusiastically.

Rina dashed towards the boys' gymnasium. The boys hadn't started practice yet and she would really like to continue avoiding Kageyama if she could. It wasn't like she hated him or anything - it was just becoming more and more difficult to act normally around him. She pushed the door to the side and entered the gym. The nets were set up already which means she had to hurry. Rina scurried to the equipment room and carefully peeked at all the sports equipment there. She spotted the mops hiding behind the stack of mats but unfortunately, they were placed too high up on the shelf.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" A voice murmured behind her.

She spun around and noticed Kageyama with his arms crossed behind her.

"Tobio!" She gasped, "I-I just need to get these mops, and then I'll be out of your way!"

"Oh, okay," He answered silently, biting his lip.

Rina scrambled and frantically reached for the mops. She couldn't see a ladder around so she jumped as high as she could to grab them.

"Hey, be careful-" Kageyama asserted and moved towards her to help.

Before he could finish his warning, Rina accidentally stumbled and fell backward. She crashed against him and he lost his balance, inevitably slamming the door shut.

"Tobio! Are you alright?" She asked worriedly as she winced in pain. She gazed down at her right leg which had a small, but noticeable gash on it.

"Yeah," Kageyama responded, rubbing his head, "Are you?"

"Just a small cut, but I'll manage." She murmured as she attempted to stand up.

Kageyama rushed to help her and said, "I got you."

His arms gently wrapped around her which made Rina feel skittish. She sat on an unopened box and sighed anxiously. The dim lighting wasn't exactly helping either. Kageyama walked over to the door and attempted to turn the knob. It didn't move one bit - it was stuck.

"I think we're stuck in here," He frowned, forcibly twisting the knob as hard as he could.

"What?" Rina panicked, "We have to get out of here... like now!"

Kageyama noticed her distress and wondered if she was afraid of enclosed spaces.

"Don't worry, I'm sure someone will come," He reassured her, "Practice starts soon so they'll need to take these volleyballs out there."

"Okay, okay..." She felt a little relieved but still, it was nerve-wracking to be trapped in a room, especially with Kageyama.

He sat on the floor and leaned against the equipment room door across from her. He stared at her which made her feel a bit insecure. She crossed her arms and shut her eyes tightly. Just ignore him.

"Rina, can I ask you something?" Kageyama cleared his throat timidly.

"What?" She mumbled, wishing that she was literally anywhere else right now.