62

Calix lifted his sword as soon as Jonas gave the order to start the fight, slowly walking around the battle circle with Leon ten feet across from him. Both were waiting for the other to make the first move, neither of them wanting to make the first move.

"I wonder what you're thinking right now," Leon said, smirking at Calix as he took a step toward him. "I know I'm thinking about how hard I'm going to fuck my Omega when this is all over."

"Funny you say that," Calix shot back, hoping to provoke Leon into making the first move. "From what I've heard, your Omega, your mate, is dead."

Leon glared, no longer smiling. "I suppose your mate will be feeling that pain soon."

"Don't count on it," Calix shot back, taking a step toward Leon, trying to feign confidence. "All my pack will know is new members, which, unlike you, we will welcome and treat with respect."

"I do treat them with respect- the respect they deserve based on status," Leon growled, stepping even closer so their sword blades were touching. "Trust me, your mate earns no respect from me."

Calix slid the blades together, which resulted in a loud screeching sound and made several pack mates cover their ears. "And your dead body earns no respect from him or myself," he said, trying to disarm Leon.

Leon wasn't easily disarmed, keeping his sword clutched tightly in his hand. He lunged at Calix's stomach, but Calix was able to block himself, mentally thanking Luke for all of the training they did the previous night.

He spun away from Leon's next attack, slicing at the man's leg and making him shriek before attempting to return the attack. He barely succeeded, getting a shallow cut on Calix's arm.

Calix could almost feel Kegan's anxiety spike at the sight of the wound, making him want to smile at his mate's concern. He fought to keep a straight face, he and Leon moving around each other carefully, both trying to debate how to attack despite their wounds.

Leon made the first move, trying to hurt Calix enough that he'd be able to take time to heal by jabbing at his feet, but Calix deflected the attack.

They went on with their small attacks, Leon increasingly getting frustrated that he wasn't able to easily take down Calix. He didn't want to shift, since he knew that Calix would take advantage of his transformation and be able to kill him. He needed to wait for the Alpha to get tired and not move as quickly.

The sun rose higher into the sky, making both men tired and sweaty. Both were panting slightly, but trying to push it down and focus on the task at hand.

Leon suddenly lunged, dropping his own sword and avoiding Calix's attempted attack, shoving the Alpha to the ground and shifting into his wolf.

Calix suddenly realized the disadvantage he was at, grabbing his sword and pointing it at the wolf. He stood up, looking to his pack desperately, everyone realizing that he still couldn't shift.

He moved around as the wolf changed direction, and he knew Leon was playing with him. No matter what Luke said, it was difficult to hurt a wolf, even if he managed to hit his neck.

Leon was giving him a wolfish laugh, realizing that Calix couldn't shift. He moved around the Alpha, waiting for the perfect time to attack.

Calix clutched his sword even tighter, sweating due to fear and exhaustion. He wanted the damn wolf to attack so he could stab him and have a chance at winning.

The wolf didn't appease him, inching closer and backing away, toying with Calix's patience and comprehension of the fight.

"Come on, charge at me!" Calix yelled, fed up with Leon's stupid games. "Coward!"