27

Excitement mixed with the angst that squeezed my stomach, flipping it in knots

Excitement mixed with the angst that squeezed my stomach, flipping it in knots. I didn't know why I was so nervous. I had entered the competition hoping to get kicked out at The Cut. Why did I feel like I wanted to stay? 

Soon, the bell tolled, signifying that dinner was about to commence. 

"We'll miss you, Lady Madeline," Lucy threw her arms around me in a hug. 

"I'll miss you too," I sighed, trying extremely hard not to cry. 

"Don't forget me," Imogen said. 

"How could I?" I gave Imogen a hug as well.

"Good luck Madeline!" Lucy and Imogen chorused as I left the room. 

I could sense the other Ladies' nervousness as they chattered, wondering who would get cut. 

"Fiona, thank God you're here," I sighed. The whole process was extremely nerve-wracking. 

"You owe me, Madeline Prowess. I had to spend almost 20 minutes showing Esme my dresses," Fiona huffed but I could tell she was nervous from the way she wrung her wrists. 

"But we did it!" I grinned. "I can't wait to see her face." I might not have been staying in the competition but at least I would get my revenge on Esme. 

"I was wondering where she was. I haven't seen her," Fiona bit her lip, looking around in anticipation. 

"Hopefully she doesn't attend The Dinner," I said. 

Soon, it was time for us to get lined up at the top of the stairs and await our announcements. Esme was still nowhere to be found. 

"Maybe she actually quit," Fiona whispered. 

"Where's Esme?" Ashley demanded. 

The other Ladies were too consumed in their own emotions to search for Esme, so they ignored Ashley. 

"Fine. Ignore me, whatever," Ashley rolled her eyes, muttering under her breath. 

I took a deep breath and exhaled, an attempt to calm the pounding of my heart. I still didn't know why I was so nervous. Unlike the other girls, I knew I was getting sent home- I just didn't know why I felt so bad about it? 

"Out of my way," A recognizable voice snapped and I was shoved so hard I almost toppled over the balcony. 

Esme stomped through the string of girls, a murderous expression on her face. Before getting in line, she turned to me, her eyes narrowed. "This doesn't change the fact that you're going home today!" 

Her clothes were dry but her hair was noticeably damp. I bit my lip in an attempt to hide my laughter. "Thanks for the ticket home, Esme. You should probably get in line, they'll announce you soon. You don't want to miss your turn now, do you?"