Chapter 15

~Leonardo~

Everything felt wrong today.

From the way the sun shone in from between blackout curtains, down to the sky being clear of all clouds. It was unusual, frustrating and suddenly I wanted to put a fist through the reflection that stared back at me.

I exhaled. Fixed the cuff of my shirt and headed to the door, pulling it open before I met with another ray of light. Alex froze at her doorway.

Eyes still. Anxious, but never scared. I let my sight drop to her wrinkled t-shirt that said "I'm great in bed", her shorts that stopped at her ass and her bunny slippers.

I only imagined she was thinking of last night, and fuck if it didn't make my mood worse. If I was honest, I couldn't sleep last night.

There were things, unwanted things burned into my subconscious. Every time I closed my goddamn eyes they were all I could see.

The sight of her sleeping against my arm. Her warm skin, flushed and needy. her breathing soft, and that fucking face. Looking at it you'd never imagine the mouth she had on her.

Alex stepped away from the door, padded down the hallway and I made sure to wait another minute before going down there myself.

The kitchen was quieter than usual. There were less maids, less men busying around and Alex was the first to notice. She stood by the sink, sipping a cup of hot chocolate.

"Where are all the men?"

The maid Camilla dropped a few slices of garlic bread on Cade's plate and set a fork in front of me.

"Aren't you curious." Cade retorted but instead of digging back at him she focused on his face, furrowed her brows and let her jaw fall.

"And why is his face bruised?"

She was suspicious, then worried, then annoyed all in the span of five seconds. "Leo?!"

I took a bite from my salad bowl, and when she realised I wasn't going answer she hurried up to him and examined his face. "Cade?" 

But he wouldn't respond.

He knew his sole duty was to watch over her and yesterday he failed. The next time there'd be a bullet in place of those bruises.

Alex swallowed, stepped back from Cade and looked at me for answers. "You hit him?"

"A little."

"Oh my god- you can't do that!" She ran to the fridge and before I knew it she had an ice pack in her hands - one she should have been using on her own nose which was swollen and red.

When she approached Cade he tried fighting her off in his own way by ducking from her. "Go away."

He occasionally glanced at me for my reaction and when I nodded my head he gave in, groaned like a kid would and let her press the ice pack to his black eye.

I ate, smoked the rest of my cigarette on the balcony and gave Cade a warning look from outside as Alex tried ambushing him with plans of a movie marathon. But he knew better.