28

I was stunned into silence as Lady Gladys left the dining hall

I was stunned into silence as Lady Gladys left the dining hall. The girls that remained were Esme, Ashley, Isadora, Katherine, Fiona and...myself. I was utterly confused as to why I was still seated and not walking out the dining hall along with the other girls. Were 7 girls leaving instead of 6? I could tell the other girls were confused. Esme's eyes narrowed as she looked between me and King Albert. 

"We are now down to The Six. One of you, in a few weeks' time, will be betrothed to Prince Carlos and will be the next Queen of Aridia. Congratulations, Ladies," King Albert nodded. 

I...had made The Cut?

 I still couldn't believe it. I knew very well that it was stated in The Choice rules that if a lady didn't attend The Demi Ball, she would be cut from the competition automatically. Why was I still seated at the table? 

"Lady Madeline did not attend The Demi Ball. Isn't that against the rules?" Esme asked. This time, she didn't bother to hide her true character behind innocent smiles and giggles. 

"Lady Madeline's situation was assessed and we deemed her fit to continue on in this competition," Queen Amelia spoke. "If you would like, Lady Esme, we can further investigate how Lady Madeline got stuck in the Ladies' Salon." 

Esme flushed a deep shade of red and I stifled a giggle. 

"Now without further ado, we will leave you to return to your rooms. Good luck as the competition progresses," Queen Amelia closed off before the royal party exited the room. 

Just before he left, Carlos' eyes met mine and I didn't miss the mischievous spark in them. 

"You little snitch," Esme seethed. 

"What, did you expect me to keep quiet about how you locked me in the Ladies' Salon?" I demanded. 

"You locked her in the Ladies' Salon?!" Katherine exclaimed, her bosom heaving as she gasped. 

"I'm not in the mood for this," Esme scoffed before she left, Ashley not too far behind. 

"I'm going to bed as well," Isadora yawned, raising her angular hands to her mouth. 

Katherine gave Fiona and I an awkward look before leaving as well. 

"And then there were 2," I sighed, before Fiona enveloped me in a bone crushing hug. 

"I'm happy to be here too," I grunted when Fiona finally let go. We were the only ones in the dining hall. 

"I thought you were going to be sent home- or I was going to be sent home," Fiona let out a relieved sigh. 

"But we're here now," I offered her a smile. I still didn't know how to feel about making it through The Cut. I was happy that I was going to be able to hold up my part of the deal with Carlos and not leave him lonely, but the first half of the competition itself was stressful. Was I ready to go through the second half?