Chapter 146 - Dumbledore's Army, Still Recruiting

Ok so I have important mock exams this week, which is why I haven't been updating Blood of the Moon, but a few of you have asked and I will deliver. But after this week. Enjoy :)

The next day, Al stared wide-eyed like everyone else at the graffiti that littered the walls. Stuff like DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY - STILL RECRUITING, and, SUPPORT POTTER were everywhere she looked in different coloured paint, and with the Carrows limited magic capabilities, they struggled to get it down. Al made sure to get loads of pictures with the 'vandalism' and her friends when the Carrows weren't looking. She needed some sort of record of her last year. "It was Daphne's idea really," Ginny told her as their group headed down to breakfast.

"Yeah, her charm work's great!" Neville added, making Daphne turn a bright pink.

Al sat down next to Theo instead of her usual Susan Bones in arithmancy, and offered her a comforting smile in explanation, which she returned. Not many people questioned Al's actions or decisions these days, mostly because she had a reason for almost everything she did. "Hello," he said quietly and not looking up from his book.

"I need your help with a spell," Al whispered quickly.

"You've always been perfectly competent at magic," he hissed.

"I'm inventing a spell," she hissed back. "So will you help me?"

Theo shrugged. "Depends," he said, "What is it?"

"A fake cruciatus curse," Al told him, "To teach to the Dark Arts students."

"We could get expelled for that!" he whispered loudly, causing the Ravenclaws sat in front to whirl round and glare at him.

"And?" Al said, "We're not going to get caught. I've got a safe place we can work."

"Oh so this is where you and Daphne have been hiding out," he said, turning back to his work.

"Is that what this is about?" Al hissed, "You think I've sided with Daphne?"

"Well you have!"

"No, Theo," Al said firmly, "She asked me for help and I obliged. You two didn't speak to me all last year, but I'd gladly offer you help if you needed it! You just didn't ask. She did."

Theo huffed, but didn't say anything else. When the bell went for charms he hissed, "Meet me outside the library at seven o'clock," before wandering ahead.

*****

Al did as she was told and met Theo outside the library, before leading him to the room of requirement, which was filled with people from all the different houses either doing homework or talking or listening to music, or reading the Quibbler. Al's safe haven had become a bit of a hangout, away from the Carrows but still with people from different houses. There were about twenty hammocks now, but only eleven people in the room.

Daphne grimaced at Theo when he walked in, and he returned it. Loads of people turned and said hello to Al when she walked through. We can't work in here, she thought, it's too loud and busy. Just as she thought it, another door appeared next to her potions brewing room. It had a plaque on it that said Al Dursley. Al opened it, and saw an office. It had a large wooden desk, with three chairs around it, and two tall storage cabinets. Four large gas lamps lit up the small room and the walls were white, and gave the room a bright feel to it.

"Well," Theo said, "Let's see what you've got so far." He sounded grumpy, like it was really tedious, and Al had to admit she'd never heard him do it before.

"Right," Al said, "I'll go and get it." She rushed back into the main area, and Daphne stopped her.

"What's he doing here?" she hissed.

"Arithmancy project," Al said with an eye roll.

"Yeah, but do you think we can trust him?" Ginny asked, and Daphne looked at her gratefully.

"Yeah," Al said firmly, picking up her parchment and books, "Definitely." The other two didn't look convinced, but dropped it.

"Uh, Al?" Anne said as she was heading back to her office, "I've been thinking - we could start the duelling club up again, but in here?"

"That's a great idea!" Al said, grinning, "Oh, but I just need to sort this first."

"That's fine!" Anne said, "Let me know."

Al finally made it back to her office, to see Theo's judgemental face looking at her. "Someone's popular." She ignored him, instead putting all the books and parchment on the desk. He spent ten minutes carefully looking over her notes and book-marked pages before he looked up.

"I think Babylonian Numerology might be a good shout," he said eventually, "That's what the spell originates from anyway. And this graph here-" he pointed at one of the older parchment sheets, "Indicates the wand movement is exactly the same."

"What?" Al asked, peering closer.

"Look, it's starting to curve upwards," he said, tracing the graph with his finger.

"Merlin, you're right," Al said, looking even closer before looking back at him, "Thanks, Theo."

"You can take it from here?" he asked, and Al nodded. "Let me know if you need anymore help." Al nodded and watched him leave the room, before drawing up a Babylonian table and getting to work.

She hadn't been at it for more than ten minutes though, when Neville came rushing in. "They want you on Potterwatch tonight!" he said excitedly, and Al jumped up heading out.

"The passageways are still blocked though," she argued, grabbing her cloak anyway.

"Why don't you make one from here?" he suggested.

"That's a great idea, Nev," Al said, her face lighting up into a smile. I need a way out of Hogwarts. That very moment a portrait appeared, with a view of a pathway. Al went up to it, and it swung open at her touch to reveal a cave-like passageway. "Cool."

"Good luck, Al!" Anne and Marlene said, grinning.

"You'll do great!" Daphne called over. She bid goodbye to everyone, and took the five minute walk along the passageway, where she met another door. Drawing her wand and holding her breath, she slowly opened the door.

"Who in the name of Merlin's left tit are you?" an old man shouted at her, drawing his wand and pointing it at her.

"My name's Al Dursley!" she said quickly, not lowering her own wand, "I'm from Hogwarts!"

"And what are you doing here?"

"Nothing!" she lied. "Just exploring. Sorry to bother you."

"Nothing my arse," growled the man. He went over to a shelf and picked a dusty cutting from the Daily Prophet from a pile. "I've read about you," he said, handing it to her. Her face smiled up at her. "You're the one with that special power."

"That's a rumour," Al said, neither admitting to it or denying it and lowering her own wand. "It's good to meet you." She held out her hand.

He eyed it suspiciously, and then took it. "Aberforth," he said, "You can call me Abe. There's more kids on the other end of that passageway?"

"They won't bother you," Al promised.

Abe shook his head, "If you need anything, you let me know." Al was surprised at this - she hadn't expected him to be so cooperative.

"Thanks," Al said, "I'll let them know."

"Can you apparate?" he asked, and Al nodded. "You'll have to do it to and from here," he explained, "There's a curfew on the village."

"Where am I exactly?" Al asked, looking for a window, but none could be found.

"Hog's Head Inn," Abe told her, "Still in Hogsmeade."

"Right," Al said, getting ready to apparate. "Thanks, sir."

"I said to call me Abe!" But Al was already gone.