Chapter twenty-two

(Louis' POV)

"Are we there yet?" I groan, leaning my head against the cold, car window. It's probably only been twenty minutes, but I'm growing very impatient. Harry's car smells good, like fresh laundry. I assume it's most likely cleaned every single day by the maids. He's so lucky.

"Yes Louis, we're almost there. And like I said before, don't talk too much. Your voice sounds terrible." Harry tells me, putting his turning signal on. I roll my eyes.

I can start to see the doctor's office as we get closer. I honestly hate doctors. They creep me out. 

I look over at Harry. He looks absolutely gorgeous, as always. His curls frame his face perfectly, and his green orbs stare at the road in front of us. I'm so lucky to have him. It probably seems like Harry is just a rebound from Alex, after he basically shattered my heart, but he's not. Harry is much more than that. It was him all along, not Alex. It was never Alex.

I hope that Alex will change in the future, he has the potential to be a better person. There was a reason that I fell in love with him back in Ireland. He was a nice, kind, romantic guy. He's changed since then, but hopefully, just maybe, he'll eventually change back to the boy I used to know. Then maybe we can be friends again.

"Are you sure you shouldn't call your parents and tell them about all of this?" Harry asks, breaking the small frame of silence.

I shake my head, "No, it's fine. They probably havn't even realized that I'm gone." I admit, "With my Dad in the hospital, and him possibly having to go to rehab for his alcohol addiction, my family has more important things to do than worry about me." I say truthfully.

Harry frowns and turns to me for a second, "Rehab?" he asks.

I nod, "Mhm. Besides, they don't care about me. They never have and they never will." I tell him.

"I'm sure that's not true. They're probably just distracted." Harry points out.

"Maybe." I mutter quietly, even though I know it's not true. I stare out the window and get lost in my thoughts. The trees morph into a green stripe as we pass by them.

"Alright, we're here." Harry announces, parking the car and turning it off. I look up to see the doctor's office. I swallow the lump in my throat.

"You said I could get any flavor of ice cream after this, right?" I ask, turning to face him.

He smiles widely, showing his dimples, "Yeah. C'mon, let's go."

We both step out of the car, and he walks up to me, intertwining our fingers. His hand is so warm and comforting, and very large compared to my small, feminine ones. I grin as we walk through the parking lot.

We reach the doctor's office, and he opens up the door for me, letting me inside. I step in, relieved to feel the warmth of the air. The waiting room is filled with sick people, coughing and hacking, along with a few crying children.

There are plenty chairs and sofas, along with a few fish tanks to keep the kids occupied. Colorful fish swim around in it, and the filter makes a buzzing sound that's heard through the room. There's a man in the corner, coughing uncontrollably into his hankie.

Gross. This is why I hate going to doctors offices.

"Hey," Harry says, nudging my side softly with his elbow, "I'm going to go talk to the receptionist and get you checked in. You can go ahead and sit down over there." he tells me, gesturing towards the multiple chairs.

I nod and sit down in the uncomfortable chair, then pull out a magazine from the container beside me. I bounce my knee up and down with nervousness. I shouldn't even be nervous about this. I'm not a child, I'm eighteen for crying out loud. But I can't shake this feeling off of being scared. My stomach keeps churning.