05. 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔟𝔬𝔡𝔶

"Byers's body was found in the water of this quarry by state police earlier this evening

"Byers's body was found in the water of this quarry by state police earlier this evening. It was discovered by state trooper David O'Bannon, just after dark. The state police are mounting an investigation to determine Byers' cause of death, but an initial inquiry..." A reporter spoke over the radio as the Ted and Karen Wheeler listened in, worried for their son and his friends.

The reporter kept talking but Mrs Wheeler tuned out as she looked over to her husband, "Should I go down and talk to Michael?"

Without looking up from his newspaper, Ted tried to assure his wife that it was nothing to worry about, "Give him time. He'll come to us when he's ready."

Meanwhile, downstairs in the basement, Mike was looking through some of Will's old drawings while Eleven was fiddling with Mike's supercomm. Ten was playing chess by himself, a sad look written all over his face.

Static crackled on the supercomm as Eleven kept repeatedly turning it on and off out of curiosity. A grieving and angry Mike had noticed this and cocked his head to face the two, "Can you please stop that?" He snapped.

Eleven rose her eyes to his before looking back at the supercomm, turning it off and on once more as static roared from the supercomm, "Are you deaf?" Mike exclaimed. Ten looked up at Mike, his eyes wide, "I thought we were friends, you know? But friends tell each other the truth. And they definitely don't lie to each other." Mike paused for a second, looking from Ten and Eleven every few seconds to show that he was talking about both of them, "You made us think Will was okay, that he was still out there, but he wasn't. He wasn't! Maybe you thought you were helping, but you weren't. You hurt me. You hurt all of us! Do you understand? What you did sucks. Lucas was right about you two. All along."

Without Eleven pressing a button on the supercomm, static began hissing from the supercomm followed by... singing? "So come on and let me know." Mike's eyes widened as he found this voice so distinct in his mind, he couldn't quite put his finger on it, "Should I stay or should I go? Should I stay or should I go now? Should I stay or should I go now? If I go there will be trouble. If I stay it will be double."

As Mike seemingly fell out of the trance the soft voice offered, he bolted for the supercomm, his suspicion that this was Will getting the better of him. He snatched the supercomm, bringing it to his mouth as Ten and Eleven gaped at him, "Will, is that you? It's Mike! Do you copy? Over." Mike called out, pleading and begging for another response from the young Byers boy.

"Will, are you there? Will!" Mike babbled, hopefully, tears almost threatening to brim his brown eyes.

Silence fell on the supercomm and without lowering the supercomm from his mouth, Mike turned to Ten and Eleven who had just been watching helplessly, "Was that... was it..." He stammered, still recovering from what had just occurred.