Chapter 4: The Montage

Erin didn't mention Oliver again. She acted as if he hadn't existed at all, really. I was fine with that for a little while, because that meant he broke things off. That's what I hoped, anyway. It's been more than a couple weeks, so I figured he actually did dump her. It would make sense considering she wasn't asking me to cover for her anymore. Erin was also out of school yesterday, so maybe she was also heartbroken. She's stayed home from school before in the same situation, when Daniel Williams broke up with her

I walk up to my locker and begin to put my books away. When I felt someone else beside me, I thought it was Erin.

"Hey, Teagan."

I turn my head around to see Alec Slater. I was surprised at first because I've only said two words to him in my entire high school career and he didn't really hang out with my kind of crowd.

"Hey... Alec." I say a little unsure and shut my locker door. "What's up?"

He looks down at me with his warm brown eyes and I remembered why I loved having him as a lab partner- and why I actually remembered having him as a lab partner. It was freshman year and he still looked as cute as always.

He runs a hand through his dark hair and smiles. "Are you doing anything next weekend?"

I just blink. "Uh, no, why?"

Alec grins. "Great. Do you feel like coming with me to a concert? I have an extra ticket."

Just as I am about to answer him, something behind Alec catches my attention.

You know in those movies, when the nerd is bullied by the 'popular' girls about her looks? Then one day, something happens and she walks into school with a slow mow walk, showing everyone she actually is pretty cool? No? Well, that's what it felt like right now. I wasn't in the mood for a montage and usually how the movies typically go is the girl ditches her original best friend.

Erin was wearing a long Burberry coat, a Louis Vuitton over her shoulder, jewelry that was not easily missed because there was so much of it and tall leather boots. All designer. All probably costing more than her dad makes in a month. Not to mention the makeup she was wearing and the new short haircut.

It was no surprise when Julia Palimore steps right in front of Erin with a big fake smile. "Hey Erin, where were you yesterday?"

Apparently out shopping.

"I wasn't feeling well." Erin says with a smile before stepping around her and walking right up to me.

"Hey Erin," Alec says with wide eyes and I stare at her the same exact way.

"Hi," She smiles

"Erin, can I talk to you? Where not everyone is staring at you?" I ask, the tightness in my voice obvious.

Erin shrugs carelessly as we walk into an empty classroom.

"Where did you get all of that?" I ask right away, gesturing to her new outfit.

Erin straightens her back. "Where do you think I got them?"

I cross my arms over my chest and glare at her. "You are still with him?"

Erin now glares harshly back at me. "So what? What is the big deal? You are so dramatic!" She throws her arms up in the air. I'm the dramatic one? "I am doing nothing wrong. Nothing. He likes me and I like him, so we go on dates and we hang out. Like a normal couple would. He isn't taking advantage of me like you originally thought."

I just stare at her in shock. "Doing nothing wrong? Erin! You told him you were a teacher! You think you're a normal couple? Would normal couples have to worry about getting the other one arrested if they are seen together? And the big deal is that you are missing school just to go on silly trips with him. It's our senior year!"

Erin runs a hand through her hair, which is usually what she does when she is angry. "Teagan, you have no idea what you are even saying. I haven't done anything wrong." She then smirks, but it's not in her usual playful way. Oliver is bringing out an ugly side in her. "I told him yesterday I was actually a student. He was mad at first, but you know what? He didn't care. He just likes me for me and when I turn eighteen I can be open about it." Erin begins to think. "You know what I think your problem is, Teagan? I think you're jealous."

"Excuse me?" I ask in a dangerously calm voice.

"Yeah," Erin says breezily. "I think you're jealous because I have finally got a boyfriend, one who buys me nice things and takes me nice places. Ever since we were little you wanted to travel around the world and get things other than candy on Valentines day."

I just shake my head and laugh harshly. "Do you even hear yourself right now?!" I yell. "You sound like you're in the fifth grade! Saying I'm jealous because all I wanted on Valentines day was something nice? What the hell kind of argument is that? I'm worried about you!" I say honestly. "And you have to have such a low opinion of me to think I would be telling you this just because I'm jealous."

Erin rolls her eyes, which shocks me even more. "Yeah well, I guess I do." I flinch at the comment and she just looks down at her brand new watch. "Listen, I have to get to class." Erin doesn't look at me as she walks around me and out of the classroom, so I'm standing there alone while the bell rings in the background. Not denying the sick feeling in my stomach.