5| Zane

Family dinner is where you bond with your family with a meal

Family dinner is where you bond with your family with a meal. And that is exactly what I am doing, just a different version of having dinner because, in my family, dinner is only when something is wanted.

So here I am, sitting at my family dinner with mom, Sandra, dad, Kevin, and my little sister, Irene. 

"Any news son?" Dad asks.

"What news?" 

"Any improvements in the company?" I frown. We are at a family dinner, not a business meeting to catch up on my business. But I refrain from saying that.

"Yes," I grit out while tightening my grip on the fork.

"I finalised more deals this week," 

"Hopefully, they will be going through," I continue. I hate talking about business, it was never a career I wanted yet I didn't complain when it was handed to me.

"Good, keep doing well and making me proud," he says. This is what I craved, a little acceptance from my parents, making them proud. I don't think it was worth it. Not wanting to think about that now, I shake those thoughts away.

"Mom, this pasta is amazing," I say to her trying to change the subject.

She looks at me with so much love and appreciation. It doesn't apply the same to my father though. He sees me as someone who can just carry on the legacy and keep bringing money in the house. I only see someone who is never happy with their child's achievements. Although some might believe that he only wants to push me further to do better, but how long will it last? How long till he will be satisfied? How much more?  

"Thank you Zany," she uses the nickname that Irene gave me. 

"Moommm," Irene whines.

"That is my nickname for Zane," 

We all laugh except father.

I don't mind her calling me by nicknames, as long as they are appropriate. Sometimes I do get annoyed but it isn't enough for me to get mad at something as small as a nickname. After all, family is the only thing you cannot lose. And I cherish it.

The dinner goes fine except for dad spoiling once in a while but I try to keep my anger and frustration in check. I think mom was thankful that it went well. I did come home after a month, I barely even come. One reason being my father and another being I just never have time. 

I also need a vacation for myself. Thinking that will not happen anytime soon, I focus back on the conversation happening which happens to be about Irene's upcoming eighteenth birthday.

***

"What about this one?" She holds up a brown coloured suit.

"No, it looks like the colour of shit," she huffs.