17. Monster

"We never realize
 how frozen we are
until someone starts
 to melt our ice."

~ Bridgett Devoue

"I found the best grill kit, I swear

"I found the best grill kit, I swear. I watched three YouTube videos on really butch looking guys review it and they absolutely love it. If your brother-in-law loves grilling as much as you say he does, he's going to love this." Scarlett tapped the screen on her laptop earnestly.

Ace's tall leather chair was turned around so that he could see outside his large glass paned windows. He didn't make a sound.

Scarlett cocked her head to a side. "Do you not want a gift for your sister's husband?"

Ace's chair began making jerk-like movements, as it was turned to face Scarlett.

When it did face her however, she wasn't greeted by Ace's chiseled jawline, dark hair, perfect scruff or green eyes. Instead, she was greeted by the face of a little girl, topped with golden blonde hair and her blue eyes sparkled. She looked like she was having a ball.

"Hi!" she said, enthusiastically, trying her best to pull herself towards the table, her tongue sticking out. She was trying to gain momentum to make the chair spin. "Who are you?"

"Hi," Scarlett replied, sweetly, shutting her laptop. She looked around. "I'm Scarlett. Who are you, sweetheart?"

"I'm Cassie," the girl said, happily, gripping the edge of the table and pushing herself sideways so that the chair spun.

"Well, Cassie, how did you end up here?" Scarlett asked.

"Ooh, there's this really pretty elevator," Cassie told her, "It has mirrors all over it."

Scarlett raised her eyebrows, completely amused by this girl and her completely inability to be anything other than confident. In Cassie's mind there was no reason to question why she would be sitting in the seat of one of the most affluential CEOs in the city, who barely let anyone into his office while he was absent.

She watched Cassie spin herself with the utmost determination. "God, I hope you're my new boss," she said, softly.

"Hate to burst your bubble, Ambrose, but that would still be me."

Scarlett spun around to see Ace, who raised an eyebrow at her with his crooked grin. She made a disappointed face. "How sad. Cassie and I were just doing so well."

"Uncle Ace, I love your chair!" Cassie exclaimed, now spinning herself by kicking her feet against Ace's desk.

Scarlett stifled a laugh seeing the girl manhandle Ace's beloved desk.

Ace's expression was soft as he looked at his niece. "Cassie, why don't you come over here and say hello to Scarlett?"

Cassie stopped the chair and hopped off of it. She was completely unfazed by the fact that she had been spinning and skipped over to Scarlett. "Hi, I'm Cassandra," she said, brightly, smiling up at Scarlett, showing the loss of two teeth on her bottom jaw.