[ CHAPTER SEVENTY-ONE ]

2010, Mystic Falls

The fashion of the twenty-first century was exciting and daring, it was a far cry from the nineteen-twenties attire she'd grown accustomed too

As Rebekah flicked through the rail of clothing, holding up the odd brightly coloured piece every once and a while, Astrid could practically see how fashion had evolved.

She'd always found the change interesting, watching with glee as corsets were thrown aside and women were allowed to show more of their body off.

Rebekah hummed to herself, brows furrowed in concentration as she pushed the hangers aside. Her sister-in-law was evidently focused on the task, unlike Astrid, who's gaze flickered around the stylish boutique.

Excluding the two originals and the compelled shop assistant who had retreated into the back room to fetch the vampires some bubbly, the shop was entirely empty.

The sound of music floated through the speakers hammered into the white walls, Astrid found it strange, it was extremely different from the smooth jazz of the twenties she'd enjoyed.

Cooing in excitement, Rebekah plucked a hanger from the rail, a grin on her lips.

"What about this?" Rebekah hummed, holding up what appeared to be a very short and revealing black dress. It was completely strapless and the material was bunched.

Eyeing the garment, Astrid hesitated before shaking her head. She'd always been fond of vibrant colours when it came to clothing, whether that meant a scarlet blouse or an emerald green dress, so the dark black garment did little to excite her.

"Too plain." Astrid shrugged, leaning back against the chair.

Rebekah scrunched her nose up, glancing down at the dress before shrugging. Without putting up a fuss, Rebekah shoved the dress back on the rail, continuing her search.

"I heard Nik didn't have a very good night last night." Rebekah sniggered gleefully as Astrid snorted.

Her azure gaze briefly flickered to the compelled shop assistant, the young girl stumbling blindly towards the two vampires. She was holding a large bottle of champagne in one hand along with two glass flutes in the other.

Without speaking a word, the girl popped the cork, pouring the golden liquid into two glasses, passing one to Rebekah who accepted it without hesitation.

When Astrid was offered the glass of champagne, she reluctantly accepted. "Thank you." She smiled as the girl quickly hurried back to the till, leaving the bottle with the two blondes. Despite being compelled to tend to their every whim, neither girls had bothered to compel away the girl's fear.

Glancing down distastefully at the champagne, Astrid made no move to lift the flute to her lips. She'd never been a fan of champagne; she found the taste boring and bitter. She much preferred red wine, she always had.