Teams

The closer it came to time for the contest, the more Morgianna had felt like there was something wrong. There was this feeling that followed her around that people were going to get hurt. She used her eyes more often than usual to check the students and teachers around her for any abnormally short lives but found nothing. Even with that it didn't make her feel better in the slightest.

Today they were to pick their groups that they would be in during the contest. Of course Morgianna already knew she would be picking Olive, anyone else would just be a nuisance. She figured since there hadn't been any other issues with Angeline her and the capture targets were probably progressing forward in their lives, or at least she hoped. Things had started off poorly since she arrived at Crossroads academy but Morgianna would not have retaliated if she had not been provoked in the first place. She just wanted to survive, it wasn't her fault if she defended herself.

The atmosphere in the courtyard was tense with students already trying to stand near their teammate. Of course the Princes were sought after with many people wishing to be paired with them, but they had already picked amongst themselves. Morgianna felt their eyes on her as she linked her arm with Olive, effectively showing she was taken. The princes frowned at not being able to approach her which only made Morgianna more nervous. Shouldn't they be ignoring her by now?

Alistar and Alaric.

Thadeous and Gabriel.

Caspian and Kieran.

Those were the three royal teams and while Morgianna had already guessed the first one she was a little excited to see how the other two teams would get along.

Morgianna was surprised she didn't see Angeline with one of them. She figured enough time had passed for the protagonist's halo to work it's magic and put them under her love spell. Actually as she looked around the courtyard she didn't see Angeline at all. Her trusted lackeys were all grouped up, but that head of pink hair was nowhere to be seen.

"Everyone settle down!" Bartholomew's voice rang through the courtyard as he and Silvus strode to the front of the students. "As you all are aware, we will be choosing pairs today. The contest will be commencing soon and we want the partners to have time to get used to working together. Line up and declare your partner." At his words the princes were among the first in line with everyone else making way for them. After that other students rushed the line making Morgianna fall at the end with Olive. Ahead of her in line she saw the person she had been watching for shoot her a glance full of malice before turning back around. There were only about five people between them but Morgianna felt at that moment that distance wasn't enough. Angeline had snuck in when the teachers arrived and Morgianna had a bad feeling on why. If she couldn't win against Morgianna head on she would go for her weak spot, Olive.

The line progressed slowly under the sun. Morgianna watched as the number of people in front of her became smaller and smaller until it was finally Angeline's turn. Her pink hair bounced as she moved to stand in front of the teachers, her pink eyes glittering with undisguised mischief.

Silvus looked at the girl in front of them and knew exactly who she was. All of the teachers were aware of her bullying whether through the reports or from seeing it with their own eyes but couldn't stop it completely. They were just glad nobody had gotten seriously injured. "State your partner." He didn't miss the glance Angeline threw in Morgianna's direction before a bright smile took over her face.

"Olive." That one word was like a punch straight to Morgianna's chest. She would have to be stupid to not realize the reason behind Angeline's choice. Morgianna's hand started shaking as she tried to reign in her emotions. She wanted to beat Angeline right there in front of everyone, but couldn't risk setting off a death flag.

Focusing her eyes on the fake lotus flower in front of her she hoped Angeline saw the promise held within their depths. It spoke of unimaginable retribution to be paid for any transgressions Angeline had in mind.

Even if he felt uncomfortable Silvus could not blatantly stop Angeline from picking Olive as her partner. He looked between the pink fluff in front of him and a pair of mismatched eyes and sighed in his heart. He could already see the paperwork he would be filing with the nurse. "Very well, next!"

Just like that the other 4 people ahead of her teamed up amongst themselves leaving Morgianna alone and without a partner. Of course this would happen, but she couldn't deny that if she could work alone keeping an eye on Angeline would be easier. "It seems there are no more available students, you know from my record that I will be fine on my own." Morgianna spoke lowly so that only Silvus and Bartholomew could hear her.

The two men shared a look. They knew she was not ordinary and had confidence that she would handle the contest well. However, the rules stated by the dean was that no student was to be alone. "I am sorry, but without a partner you cannot participate." Bartholomew regretted the words as soon as they left his mouth. Morgianna's icy glare had focused on him and even with his size he knew the girl in front of him was not someone to be taken lightly. He was just about to speak again when new voices joined their conversation.

"Why don't you allow her to join our team? I would even allow others to have a head start since we would have an extra member." The person speaking was none other than Alaric. His expression seemed blank but his eyes held excitement.

"No! If she joins anyone it should be me, I mean my team." Thadeous was right behind him, arms crossed over his chest, a frown marring his face.

Kieran who was behind them looked shy. "If you would like to join my group we would be happy to have you. If not I understand." The other princes gave him an incredulous look all of them thinking of how sly his move was. Not only did he ask her directly, but he also made it seem like he was doing her a favor without asking for anything in return.

Even if they wanted to argue they couldn't at the moment with the teachers staring each of them down in curiosity.

Morgianna wanted to tell them all no, but in the end she needed them if she wanted to make it to the contest. "Fine. Sir Silvus and Sir Bartholomew please arrange which group I will be in." She pushed the choice to the teachers not wanting to waste any of her time on the matter. She had much more important things to focus her attention on, such as her best friend being alone with a vindictive girl.

Casting a glance around the courtyard many eyes we're focused on her and the princes, waiting to see who she would be paired with. She had no doubt the news would be all over the school by the next day of how 'lucky' she is. In her heart she felt she had been dealt a great injustice and could only assume this was how the game would have played out but with Angeline and her switching places.

Angeline and her group were only a few meters away and like the others they were watching for the outcome. However, instead of the normal envious gazes that had been cast in Morgianna's direction, theirs were filled with hatred. There was only one among them that looked on in worry, her poor, sweet Olive.

___________________
Word count before note: 1330

I'm the writer and even I am worried about my little Olive. Angeline and her goonies have hatched a plan that separated Morgianna from one of the people she will do anything to protect with no idea the wrath they are about to incur.

Don't forget to hit the like button and comment if I made any mistakes ❤