Chapter 5

Classes as Arthur Hawking Acadamy were very similiar to classes at my old school, except for the fact that they weren't taught by nuns. I was grateful TJ was in most of my classes. The only one he wasn't in happened to have both John and Marc in it with me. I had a few classes with them, but history was the only one with them both.

"I know the school year just started," our teacher, Mrs. Peterson said, "but I wanted to start off with a project on the colonization of America. To make things easier, you'll be working with a partner. You are allowed to choose whoever you'd like for this project."

I sighed, looking around the classroom. Of course this had to be the only class without TJ. I didn't know anyone, besides both my roommates, but I wasn't about to ask either of them. Everyone else seemed to immediately have someone to pair off with.

A hand slammed down on my desk and I jumped. Turning in my seat, I found John standing next to me.

"You look smart, pipsqueak."

"Do I?" My voice cracked when I asked that. If it kept doing that when he was around, I was never going to shake that nickname.

"Yes. You're my partner now."

I couldn't get the image of him out of my head from when I saw him in the bathroom this morning. Did he forget that I walked in on him like that? Or did he just not care? 

Did he forget about me looking at his shower supplies too, then? I really thought he hated me, but now he wants to be my partner?

"Okay, everyone back to their seats," Mrs. Peterson said. "I want each pair to come up with any topic regarding the colonization of America by tomorrow and then create a presentation on that topic by Friday."

We spent the rest of the class going over the details of the project, which I tried to take as many notes on as I could. Every once in a while, I'd glance over at John, but he was never paying attention, usually texting under his desk. I wasn't sure how Mrs. Peterson didn't see him.

After class ended, we were free for the rest of the night. I tried catching up with John to maybe start discussing potential topics, but he was long gone before I even got up from my desk.

I had a bad feeling I'd be doing this whole project by myself.

It wasn't until later that night that I finally located John, not that I'd actually spent any time really looking for him. I was sitting on my bed, working on some homework for tomorrow when he came back into the room.

He didn't even look at me, and I honestly wasn't sure he knew I was here. Instead, he seemed relieved that Marc wasn't in the room.

I wasn't sure if I should say something, especially once he started undressing. I was frozen in place, unable to tear my gaze away from his back muscles. It was clear he worked out regularly, probably because of whichever sports he played. I wanted to touch him, to feel those muscles against my skin.

"What are you looking at?"

"Sorry," I squeaked, covering my face with my hands to hide the inevitable blush that had to be forming there.

He continued looking up at me, the shirt he had just taken off still in his hand. I couldn't read the expression on his face. I had a feeling he was angry at me. This was the second time today he caught me staring at his body. There was no way he didn't realize at this point. I just really hoped he didn't have a problem with me being gay.

Lowering my hands from my face, I took a deep breath. "So," I started, hoping to move past this embarrassing moment. "I've been thinking about that history project we have."

That seemed to snap him out of whatever he might have been thinking, tossing his shirt onto his bed and reaching for a different one. "There is no we," he snapped. "You're supposed to be smart enough to figure that one out on your own."

That's what I figured.

I sighed, not wanting to ask him to actually contribute the project. Not after being caught staring twice now. I was way too embarrassed. I think it would be better for the both of us if I worked alone.

John continued changing his clothes, clearly not bothered by the fact that I was sitting right there. I had figured he was getting ready for bed, since it was almost lights-out time, but he was dressed too nice for his outfit to be bedchothes.

"You're going out?" I asked before I could stop myself.

He glanced up at me, tucking his phone into the back pocket of his jeans. "Yeah. The girls are having a party."

"Girls?"

"You don't know?" He scoffed, shaking his head. "Bowen is right down the street. It's our sister school. You know, I'd invite you to the party tonight, but I have a feeling girls aren't your thing."

"Right," I muttered, turning my attention back to my laptop. I wasn't sure he heard, or cared, that I had said anything, since I was fairly certain he had stopped listening as soon as he had spoken.

Without another word, John left, once again leaving me the room to myself. At least, for only a couple minutes.

Marc ran in, glancing up at me as he dug around on his bed for something. "Hey," he said quickly. "I'm headed to this party down the street. Wanna come? It's probably the best way to meet people, since you're new and all."

I sighed. It was mostly likely the same party John was heading to, so did I really want to go somewhere where they both were? Did I want to break the rule saying we needed to be in our rooms for the night at 11pm, which was in twenty minutes?

Looking at my laptop again, I realized my homework could wait. I had just about finished everything that was due tomorrow. The rest of it could wait another night. What's the worst that could happen at this party? Last time I broke curfew, I ruined my life for the rest of the school year. I knew nothing could happen that would be worse than that night.

"Wait," I said, just before Marc pulled open the door. He looked back at me, fairly shocked that I had stopped him. "I'm coming with you."