𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟑𝟕

❝❞

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Anakin had visited Mandalore only once before, and that had been when he'd met Duchess Satine, Obi Wan's... "friend"... and the pacifist ruler of Mandalore a year ago. He'd gone to the planet with Obi Wan when the duchess's life was being threatened by the Death Watch. 

Least to say, Anakin and Obi Wan had been unsuccessful in incarcerating Pre Vizsla as the leader of the Death Watch then, but now, now they knew for certain the governor of Concordia was the leader of the extremist group. 

As their starship emerged into Mandalore's capital bio-cube city, Anakin was met with the sight of the white and grey buildings sprawled across the surface of the city. Anakin glanced to where Ahsoka was piloting their ship towards the duchess's residence. 

"Thank you for helping us," he told her quietly. 

Ahsoka spared him a glance, her blue eyes lively and filled with her usual exhilaration. "Of course, Skyguy. Isn't that my job? To keep you from getting yourself killed?" 

Anakin crossed his arms as he regarded Ahsoka, and he retorted, "No, I believe that's my job, Padawan."

Ahsoka only tossed her eyes upwards playfully as she replied, "Whatever you say, master."

As their ship lowered onto the duchess's private landing platform, Anakin spotted Obi Wan waiting for them near the edge of the platform by the building, arms folded over his chest. He wore a neutral expression on his face per usual, so it was difficult for Anakin to discern his master's feelings. 

Anakin felt it was always hard to get some sort of emotion out of Obi Wan. The most emotion he had seen out of the calm Jedi Master was when Astrid had argued with him when they were leaving Coruscant to go after Maul and Savage Opress. 

Anakin took a breath before rising from his seat, and as he turned around towards the back of the cockpit, he caught sight of Astrid laying down on one of the wall cots, one leg drawn up at ninety degrees, eyes staring up at the ceiling. 

"Hey, we're at Mandalore, Astrid," Anakin told her, stopping at the side of her cot. She remained laying down, eyes turned towards the ceiling. 

Her gaze slid to his face, and Anakin was caught off guard by the unfeelingness her eyes. "Do you  ever get tired of the war, Anakin?" she asked quietly. 

Anakin raised his brows in surprise, having not expected this seemingly random question. "The Clone Wars?" he clarified, and she nodded solemnly. He smiled a little as he replied, "No, not really. If anything, I've never been better. I've never felt more alive." 

Astrid didn't return his smile. Instead, she responded, "But do you not miss Coruscant? I mean, you never have time to be with the other Jedi, our family. You know?" 

Anakin's brows drew together as he disagreed, "No, the Jedi Order has never been my family. I've found my family in Ahsoka, Obi Wan, Rex, the 501st, and, well, you. I don't need the Jedi Order anymore." 

Astrid sat up then, and Anakin drew back to give her some room. She looked sad as she studied him. "What if the Jedi Order is wrong? What if the Republic is the bad guy? What if the Jedi were never supposed to have become involved in the Clone Wars in the first place? What if we were never supposed to have use of the clones?" 

Anakin couldn't help but disagree. Fighting in the Clone Wars was unavoidable, and the Jedi had to do their duty to help the galaxy. The Separatist were the bag guys, the Republic was the good guy, and it was as clear cut as that.