Chapter 5- Twenty Questions

After about an hour of studying, we decide to call it quits for the night. Sean honestly isn't dumb at all. It took minimal effort from my side to get him up to speed. A small hint here, the odd encouragement there, and he was doing the work no problem.

As we started packing up, I decided to question him on it. "Sean, you did really well today. So well, in fact, that I'm wondering if you really need me."

He laughs a bit. "I think you just caught me on a good day. Honestly, it's not even the work that's too hard for me. I just have a problem balancing everything. Between school, basketball, taking care of Aurora, and trying to maintain somewhat of a social life, it's a lot of pressure."

He turns to look at me, his eyes serious for probably the first time since I met him. "I think if I just had someone to do the homework with me, just sitting next to me and only helping once in a while, that's enough motivation for me to get the stupid stuff done."

I nod, getting where he's coming from. "If it's so much to handle, why did you decide to take AP Chemistry? I get that you're really smart but it feels like it'd be a lot less work if you took honors."

"It probably would be, but I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment." He tries to sell his lie with a smile, but he doesn't fool me. His eyes don't fool me. They hold a certain sadness in them, telling me that there is a bigger struggle in his home life than he let on. Seeing as we only just met yesterday, I decide not to pry.

I throw my bag over my shoulder, shooting Sean a sympathetic smile. "Well, I guess I better head out. When do you want to meet up again?"

He looks down for a second in contemplation. "If you don't mind, I'd kinda like to do this as often as possible. Would you be able to come back tomorrow?" He asks me shyly.

"YES!" I yell way too loudly, causing Sean to give me a confused look. I cough, trying to cover up my stupid outburst. "Uh, I mean, of course. I have no social life so I can come over whenever."

Sean smiles his beautiful smile once more. "Perfect!"

I start to see myself to the door, feeling extremely giddy.

"Wait!" Sean grabs my shoulder preventing me from leaving. "You don't have to leave if you don't want to. Why not stay for dinner?"

I must be dreaming. There's no other explanation.

"S-sure."

"Great! Now, put down your bag and I'll order us a pizza. Pepperoni ok?" 

I nod as I put down my bag once more. Sean walks over to a phone on the wall. I guess he's ordering it now.

"Rachel? Hi, it's Sean. I was wondering if you could make us a large pepperoni pizza for dinner, tonight?" He speaks kindly into the receiver. "Perfect, see you in a few."

He hangs up the phone, leaving me a bit confused. "What?" He asks, seeing my face.

"You didn't tell her your address, how's she supposed to get the food here?"

Sean chuckles. "Well, I'd hope she knows the address, considering she lives here."

What?!

Just then, a tall blonde woman walks into the kitchen. She's dressed very nicely in a vibrant blue blouse and professional pants. Her blonde hair is neatly tied into a bun on the top of her head, and her makeup is very modest.

"Luke, meet Rachel. She's our maid and she's helped raise me since I was a baby. She's a hell of a cook, too."

 I smile a bit awkwardly. "H-hello, ma'am. Nice to meet you."