Work For Pulitzer

We got back to the Lodging House earlier than usual. We were one of the first there. Tommy Boy was helping Smalls change his bandages, and Crutchie was trying to clean up from last night's wreckage. I was about to help him when someone knocked on the door. I whipped around and saw Elmer opening it warily. It was the same blond haired doctor.

"Elmer, is it?" He asked. The black haired boy nodded. "Your sister is waking up."

I rushed to the door. "She is?"

"Elmer, ya don't have a–" Tommy Boy began, stopping when Elmer shot him a glare.

"Harriet is waking up." The man repeated, looking around. "Is your brother here? Jack?"

"He's wit Davey." Crutchie called.

"Thanks, Crutchie." I nodded at him. "Jack's out."

"Let's go talk to your sister." The blond man led Elmer and I out of the Lodging House.

"Crutch, if Jack comes back, can ya tell him ta go to da hospital?" I asked before we were fully out the door.

"Will do." The blond boy smiled warmly, and I returned it before backing out of the door and following the doctor.

"I'm Doctor Culbertson." He said as we walked. "The other on is Doctor Charles, and you both have met Doctor Jay."

"We's did." I nodded as we walked. I saw a couple Newsies as we walked, and they waved to us. As we neared the hospital, I saw Clara, her father, and her brother waking down the street.

"Hey, Clara, Harvey!" I called out, called her and her father to glance up.

"Hey Olive!" Clara squeaked. Honeybelle was at the Lodging House with Crutchie.

"Elmer!" Harvey greeted as we passed eachother. Then, a few moments later, we arrived at the hospital. Doctor Culbertson led the two of us up to a different room than last night.

"Just in time." He breathed, letting us in. Harriet's eyes were beginning to open groggily. I quickly pulled a chair and sat next to her. Elmer stood, just not as close. Harriet doesn't know who he is.

"Bailey." Harriet croaked.

"It's Olive." I had told her before, but I guess she didn't remember.

"Hi Olive." Her green eyes opened up and looked over me. "You's a Newsie?"

"Yeah." I smiled, then leaned over to whisper: "That's Elmer, he's acting as your brother. There's another one named Jack who's doing the same."

Harriet nodded, turning to Elmer. "Elmer! I missed you!" She then opened her arms for a hug, and he gave her one awkwardly. Harriet looked past him and mouthed something to me.

He's cute! I smiled and nodded. Then she finished with: Don't worry, he ain't my type.
Elmer got out of the hug as soon as possible.

"How's ya doin'?" I asked her.

"All's well." Harriet smiled.

"D'ya remember anything?" Elmer asked.
"I's rememberin' da ride ova here." She told him.

"Joe Pulitzer took us ova here." I told her excitedly.

"Speaking of Mr. Pulitzer," Doctor Jay said from across the room. "He's paying from your stay, Harriet."

"He is?" My jaw dropped.

"That's great." Elmer whispered in awe.

"The Pulitzer?" Harriet asked the doctor.

"Yes." Jay turned fully towards us. "The Pulitzer."

Just then, Jack burst though the door.
"Where is she?" He asked frantically, then saw Harriet.

"Jack's a real good actor." Elmer hissed in my ear. I looked at Harriet and mouthed 'Jack'.

She nodded. "Jack!" She cried, and they hugged. Again, she looked at me and mouthed something.

He is hot. She mouthed.

Taken. I mouthed back, grinning. Harriet rolled her eyes with a smile.

"I's missed ya so much!" She told him warmly.

"I missed ya too, Harri!" Jack beamed, stepping away.

"So, Olive, they's finally let ya be a Newsie?" Harriet looked at me.

"Finally." I rested my arm on Elmer's shoulder, although he was a bit taller than me.

"Y'know," The blonde girl studied her dirty fingernails. "Since you's the runt."

"Hey!" I objected. "Elmer's only older by, like, ten minutes!"

"Still da runt." Elmer nudged me.

"Whateva." I growled, crossing my arms.

"I'm going to check up on another patient, I'll be back in a few minutes." Doctor Jay told us, walking out the door. Now it's just me, Harriet, Elmer, and Jack.

"Okay so you's is actin' as twins?" Harriet asked, pointing at me and Elmer.

"We's da same age." I informed her. "But my birthday's in October."

"How old is you?" She asked Jack.

"I's eighteen." Jack proclaimed proudly. "Nineteen in November."

"Me too!" Harriet beamed excitedly. "But I'd born in January. You's older."

"I knew it." Jack smiled.

"Ya have a goil!" Elmer nudged Jack playfully.

"Nah, Kath won't mind day I play an olda brudda." The boy shrugged, then shot his gaze back up at Harriet. "Is ya any good at writin'?"

"I's love writin'!" She exclaimed.

"She's really good." I nodded.

"Once you's betta, Katherine can get ya a job with Pulitzer." Jack took his hat off, revealing his wet hair. "You's can write for da papes!"

"Really?" Harriet sat up quickly, wincing in pain. Then she laid back down.

"That's a great idea, Jack!" Elmer the boy's back. Doctor Jay came back into the room.

"It's getting dark. You three should head home." She advised.

"Okay, thanks." Jack nodded. "Great seein' ya, Harri!"

"We's gonna see ya again as soon as we can!" I called as we walked out.

"Bye!" Elmer waved.