.twenty-one.

Y/n awoke in the darkness. She stretched her sore limbs, lifting herself off the cold stone floor. Y/n could see the bight lights at the end of the cold deep tunnel she resided in each night. Last night was her night with Ran, tomorrow she will spend with Shaw. Walking to the edge of the cave, she watched the myrid of colors as they spiraled into the air from the middle of the bridge. Once the dragons were done with their show, Ran and Shaw immediately flew over to y/n, circling around her. Y/n giggled, holding out her arms and watching the dragons coil around them and snuggle into her neck.

"Y/n! What did I say about sleeping in the dragon caves?" Y/n's father, Amir, called out from below the stair, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Sorry father! But it was Shaw's turn and I had to be fair!" She called out. Amir let out a hearty laugh.

"Did you notice we have visitors?" He asked. Y/n's head perked up at visitors, she got so distracted that she didn't even bother acknowledging them. Turning her head to the middle of the bridge, her bright smile fell and was followed by confusion and anger.

Locking eyes with y/n, Zuko was stunned. She was beautiful, dressed in a warmed colored kimono that was cut in the front similar to her former dress. She had traditional Japanese sandals that extended and wrapped in spirals around her calf and ended in pretty bows. Her hair was neatly styled, slightly devishled, gold beads on some strands, a sign of royalty. And now she had tattoos and paint marks all over her warm skin.

"Ran, Shaw, I'll come see you later." She said, not breaking angry eye contact with Zuko. The dragons retreated to the respective caves, leaving y/n, Zuko, and Aang on the bridge.

"Great! Y/n you could train Zuko and I in firebending!" Aang said excitedly. Y/n's eyes snapped to the avatar, her gaze softening.

"No thank you. Have prince Zuko teach you." She said softly, walking past them and down the long stairs.

Quickly Aang and Zuko followed her as she disappeared into the emptiness of the Sun Warriors temple.

"Y/n wait!" Zuko called out.

"Leave me alone!" She yelled over her shoulder. She could hear them speed up behind her, and she did too. This continued until she was full on sprinting over the marble floors away from the two.

"Y/n please if you just-!"

Y/n suddenly turned around and lifted a high wall of flames between herself and the two boys. After watching their abrup stops, she spun on her heel, walking to the door on her side of the room. As she reached the doorway, she let the fire wall fall to ash.

"I'm sorry." Zuko mumbled softly. Y/n stopped dead in her tracks, her fists cleanching at her sides. She let out an abrupt frustrated cry, as she tried to hold back tears.

"What do you want from me???" She yelled, turing around and locking eyes with Zuko.

"You lock me in prison, then expect me to up and leave my family that I just found out is still alive all to do something that you were born to do?" She asked, her voice strained and her eyes wet. She took steps towards the two as she talked, no more energy in her to yell.

"Do you enjoy this? Is that why you kept me around as a child, because you knew I was hurting? Everything is always about you, am I not allowed to be happy?" She asked more to herself, her face paint smudging with her tears. Zuko felt incredibly guilty as he watched her beat herself up over damage that he caused. He loved her, but things were complicated now.

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry y/n." He began, taking slow steps to y/n as she wipped her eyes.

"I promise you, I've changed, for real this time. I'm helping the avatar, and we're going to take my father down. Honor from him means nothing to me anymore" He grabbed her face, wiping the smeared paint and tears from her cheeks.

"Everyone deserves a second chance." Iroh recited.

Y/n huffed quietly.

"I forgive you... and I'll go with you to train Aang." She said softly with a hiccup. Zuko smiled and tried to pull her into a hug, but she pushed him away and took a step back.

"I forgive you, but things wont go back to the way they were. Its been established, Zuko, you and I cannot be a thing, no matter how much I like you. It just doesn't work." She mumbled.

Zuko's heart broke a little more inside, but neverless he cleared his throat and straightened his back.

"Right."

".....Well uh, we should be going." Aang stated awkwardly after observing that moment.

___________

"Are you sure you cant just bring them here?" Y/n's mother asked anxiously.

"No mom, The Fire Nation is after the Avatar, I will not have them destroy my home again." Y/n said seriously.

"Please be careful." Her father said, placing a kiss to her forehead and handing over her katana holster.

"I will. Tell Ran and Shaw that I'm leaving." She said, turning around and following Aang and Zuko.

"We love you!" her mother called out. Y/n stopped walking, turning around to her parents and giving them a warm smile.

"I love you too, stay safe." She said before continuing her walk away.

".....so, you uh- found your parents?" Zuko asked Awkwardly.

"Yes. Turns out Ozai lied to me. It wasn't earth warriors that pillaged my home, it was Fire Nation Warriors. They were trying to find the dragons. When we excaped from prison, Iroh told me to come here, and when I arrived, I was remined of my heritage. So when I told you that I was just a peasant, I was wrong, I'm the princess of the Sun Warriors Tribe." She said proudly.