It feels different

Chapter thirty-four: It feels different (Emma's POV)

I sat there on his bed while he went and got dressed. I love him and I almost just told him that. I am such a fucking idiot. I realized it today when we were in the car. I didn't just freak out because I cared about him, I freaked out because I loved him. And the thought of something happening to him scared the life out of me. It scared me more than the thought of something happening to me. Which is why I stayed behind and waited for him. 

Maybe I should have kept running and gotten out as he asked, but if I could do it again, I'd still wait for him. I snapped out of my thoughts when he came out of the bathroom in sweatpants and as usual, no shirt. Instead of sitting on the bed, he went and pulled his curtains open before lying on the couch, beckoning me to come over. I walked over to him and he held my hand. 

"What?" I asked, chuckling slightly. He tugged my hand and I straddled him, drawing circles on his chest while he played with the fingers of my other hand. "Hey, it's a full moon," I laughed while looking up, dismissing the city lights for the moon. 

I looked down at him and he was completely zoned out. 

"Hey," I squeezed his hand and he snapped out of it, his eyes meeting mine. 

It feels different. Everything between us just feels... different. 

"What are you thinking?" I asked, lying down on top of him. 

"Nothing," he shook his with a smile. 

"Bet," I rolled my eyes, "But you know you're just gonna end up telling me eventually," I shrugged, "You always blurt it out in the end," I chuckled. 

"Hmm," he said while biting the inside of his cheek. 

"I see the gears turning in your hand," I pressed a finger to the side of his temple, "You can tell me," I urged. 

"You're going to think I'm fucking crazy," he chuckled. 

"No, I'm not," I laughed while running my hand through his hair, resting my chin on his chest. 

"Should I just tell you?" he asked and I nodded in response. "Okay," he sighed, "Emma, I think-" he cleared his throat, "I think I love you." 

Am I dreaming? I think I'm dreaming. 

I stared up at him, waiting for him to elaborate. 

"Like, I think I'm in love with you," he sighed, his tongue rolling on the inside of his cheek. 

"You do?" I asked, absolutely dumbfounded. 

"Yeah," he nodded, "I do." 

I didn't say anything because I'm stupid. 

"I know you're gonna say it's too soon, and you're gonna think I'm delusional but-" 

"I love you too," I interrupted him. 

"You do?" he looked up at me, blinking twice in surprise. 

"Yeah," I chuckled while nodding, "I do." I licked my lips that suddenly felt dry like my throat. "I um- I think I realized it in the car today. When I got mad and I just- I realized that I wasn't just mad because I care about you. I was mad because I love you," I explained. 

"When were you gonna tell me?" he smirked. 

"When I was a little more sure, but I was not going to wait around like last time. I didn't want to risk it and regret it this time," I chuckled, "I'm glad you said it first though, it was very encouraging," I smirked.