Chapter sixteen

Down on the beach me and Padmè were sat out in the sun, towels lain out on the sand and dresses folded to the side. I was in the purple swimsuit I'd picked out earlier that went with the dress I'd picked out, and of course Anakin had commented on that little display. Padmè was in a pretty little yellow bathing suit with frills and such along with little flowers. It was nice to just relax by the water side, hearing the soothing waves wash in and out along the shore as I gazed up at the clear blue sky. I could feel Anakin was sat not to far away, probably in the shade since he was wearing all black.

"I think I might go in for a swim, would you care to join me (y/n)?" Padmè asked softly, breaking the silence and sitting up. I let out a sigh, eyes dropping as I stretched and sat up next to her.

"Alright...sounds good to me." I replied while stretching my arms before me then looking over at her.

"Great, let's go." She said with a smile as she stood up, reaching round and pinning her long ringlet curls up so they wouldn't fall in the water. I could feel Anakin watch us nearby and walk over to join us with an amused aura.

"You ladies heading in?" He asked from behind me, his hand brushing my putter thigh in a tease as he walked by and stood by us.

"Yes, just for a little while, do you care to join us?" Padmè asked while I playfully tapped his hand away from me in such a way the senator wouldn't notice.

"I was more thinking I'd sit on the side and watch, but you two ladies have fun." Anakin said while patting my shoulder as I pinned my hair out the way while still not destroying the braid Padmè had done round my head earlier.

"Well in that case you can look after this for me." I said while leaning forward and pulling my lightsaber from its holster and chucking it over to him, which of course he caught with ease.

"It'll be in good hands, now go have fun." He said, clipping it to a spare hook on his belt before giving me a gentle push towards the waters edge after Padmè.

'Don't worry, I won't let you drown.'
He said through the force while walking me over to the waters edge.

'I'm sure I can swim now Ani.'
I replied using the mental link as my toes splashed into the water.

"I'm sure you'll be just fine." He said while patting my back as I looked over my shoulder at him with a quick smile before walking into the lake after Padmè. The water was cool and refreshing, but not cold enough for any chills to run down my skin, it was perfect just like everything on Naboo. As the water level rose up over my body, above my waist and up towards my chest, I couldn't help but be a little nervous. It had been years since I'd even tried swimming, and I still wasn't certain I could.

"So hows the temperature?" Padmè asked while standing a few feet away from me among the waves. I gave her a smile and took a few more steps out towards her, cursing my short stature as I lost my footing in places as I swam out.

"The temperature's great." I replied with a smile, not wishing to tell her how concerned swimming actually made me feel.

"I'm glad you think so," the senator said kindly, now not to far from me at all as we relaxed in the waves off from the shore and Anakin. "Now, how have you and Anakin been doing?" She asked out of the blue with that knowing smile she keeps giving me these days, her eyebrows raised as she looked directly towards me.

"I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, me and Anakin, we're just friends." I replied, now starting to realise she may know exactly what was going on between us, Padmè was incredibly bright after all.

"Oh please (y/n), you don't need the force to see the connection between you both," she said with a soft look that told me she wasn't about to tell anyone else about this, which I was completely grateful for. "So, how are things really going between you?" She asked again, warm kindness shining in her eyes, inviting me to share my emotions, something no Jedi had ever invited me to do. It felt nice, like, I'd finally found a genuine friend again like Anakin...and even Kaida.