it's my secret!

[sunshine disguise]

[sunshine disguise]

The morning is cool, a break from the chaos divined by the gods all week. I walk along the path from our house with Tohru and Kazuma, feeling guilty about not waking Kyo. I'll be labelled a traitor later, but I feel I owe it to Kazuma for doubting him before. I won't question his choice now.

But Tohru will.

"I think you should tell Kyo-kun you're leaving. I know I'm being nosy, but..."

A calm smile wipes across his face. "I don't know if I was right or wrong... I adopted Kyo at first because of a guilty conscience. My grandfather and Kyo were both cursed and everyone in the family stayed away because of it. I did too. I saw my grandfather once and he offered me candy but I denied it by saying "I don't want it. It's cursed"." He looks down with shame. "I actually said something so cruel. He smiled and forgave me. He was such a kind person.

He passed away and Kyo was born. I saw the situation from a different perspective. I felt pain deep down. Everyone treated him like I had treated my grandfather, exactly alike. I wanted to ease my conscience through adopting him, but, unknowingly I had developed feelings like a father for him. But I ignored his feelings and took away his beads. I forced him to accept my views. Even you, Kuroi," he looks at me solemnly, "In that moment knowing you'd seen him before, knowing his feelings without forcing anything and I had doubted and made it seem you were wrong and forced my views on you too. That's why I don't know if I was right or wrong... I don't know how I can tell him my feelings about this... forcing my feelings on him or telling him "that's great". I only created this opportunity but the person who really saved Kyo," he looks with a warm smile at Tohru now, "Is you. Because you're by his side."

I awkwardly try something of a genuine smile for his reassurance, though it's definitely lacking. "Shishou-san, you are far from a bad father or a bad person... you wanted to help change his anger and hopelessness. I was just going to let it be."

"I don't know what you're thoughts are, but in my eyes right now, you seem like a genuinely good father," Tohru remarks with a smile.

A cry interrupts the heartfelt moment, startling Kazuma the most.

"Shishou!" Kyo's voice cries at the top of the path. Before Kazuma can get acknowledgement out, Kyo is already swinging at him. "Why are you leaving without saying a word?! It feels like you're trying to run away!"

Kazuma barely has any other choice than to hit Kyo to cool him off.

"You... did you think I was mad at you? Were you disappointed?" Kyo hangs his head to the side, trying to recover. "I'm sorry I've always been troubling you, whining like a kid and saying "I want to go back to the dojo". I was always seeking refuge at your place, I'm sorry. But even though I'm useless now, one day I'll stand up and walk my own path without being a burden." Don't say that... "I won't be hurt again. I won't be a burden to anyone again. Shishou, I..." His bruised face lifts with determination. "I hope one day I'll have the courage to say Shishou is my father! I can do that!"