Chapter 2: His Room

" These flowers only need to be watered 3 times a week, we have a gardener who does the maintenance and upkeep of this garden, his name is Jack. He also resides on the property" Lisa said.

I look around the garden, blustery winds carry delightful wafts through the summer air with a hint of baked apple, it's the smell of plants growing.

The sun gives the grass a golden glow from the shiny droplets of sprinkler water.

Lipstick pink peonies adorn the garden and purple tulips festoon the scene with their ladylike perfume.

If you inhale deep enough, the potpourri of scents registers as a sweet mix of jasmine and cherry blossoms.

Lisa walked me to the back of the house.

A huge basketball court sits in the middle of their magnificent backyard.

"Griffin likes to have his friends over some time and they love spending time out here" Lisa explains.

I nod absently as I look around. Jesus, they're rich, rich. Hearing about it is one thing, but seeing it.... wow.

"Let's go back inside, sweetheart. I need to show you Griffin's room." Lisa said with a smile.

I nod wordlessly. 

My feet move before my mind can, I trail behind Lisa as if she could shield me.

We grab a few cleaning supplies on the way.

"Griffin is still out, he has after school practice with his team about 3 days out of the week," Lisa said conversationally, unaware of my turmoil crisis.

We reach the bottom of the stairs; I look up the high steps. Unable to move any further, needles in my throat, suddenly feel dry, and my hands feel clammy.

Lisa walks up the steps ahead, stops, and turns around looking down at me "What's the matter? Are you ok? You look like you just saw a ghost." Her brows pinched in concern.

I force a smile "No, I'm ok."

I take the step up the stairs, one at a time. Hand on the rail I look down at my own two feet climbing up. This is easy, I'm making it harder than it should be. I'm here to clean. That's not hard, Elena. Don't be silly. Don't overthink this.

With my self-prep talk, my feet land on the top landing.

Lisa turned to me once more with a smile, maybe to check and make sure I didn't bolt out the door. Or maybe to reassure me and try to ease my thoughts.

Either way, I follow her in silent. 

She leads me along the corridor lit by sun lights, everything looks expansive and large, their furniture, their picture frames, and their decorations. I fold myself within myself, making myself even smaller so I don't accidentally bump into something and destroy their expensive prize possessions that cost more than I'll ever make in my lifetime.

The very end of the hall is a full glass window display of their magnificent garden, it looks even more breathtaking from this angle.

Lisa turns right and we come face to face with a giant wooden door.

"This is Griffin's room. To the other side, that room over there is Logan's for when he visits" Lisa indicates the room behind us that's on the opposite end of the hall.

I heard of Logan, he's Griffin's older brother, and he works alongside Gerald Godson at their family's company. I heard Logan had made quite a name for himself at a young age, taking after his father.

Lisa opened the door and held it open for me; I stepped foot through the threshold.

High ceiling with huge open space. A large bed sits in the middle of the room, with intricate designs all around the hard wooden frame. Drape in a dark satin gray silk coverlet with matching pillow sets decorates the bedding.