Chapter 28

Sally POV

I only had two weeks off from work, only two weeks to spend time with Rhea. I've been working non-stop these past few months so that I could get time off. Gabe barely gets an income, so that leaves me to pay all the bills, and all of his beers.

When I married him, I did it to protect my beautiful little girl from the monsters of this world. I knew his stench would cover her scent.

I paid the price, I took his abuse, him pushing me around, degrading me in front of his friends, slaving after him.

Now I am looking up at Poseidon's worried face, who just told me he killed my husband.

I don't know what to say, how to react to this.

At first I feel nothing, then I feel relief, but when it truly set in, I felt anger. Anger at Gabe, anger at Poseidon, and anger at this whole situation.

"How could you Poseidon?! His scent was covering Rhea's! You know that!" I yell at him.

"I did it because he hurt you as well as Rhea. I won't stand for it. That's why I did it. He is paying for everything he put you through," he replies coolly.

Replying coolly is worse than screaming.

"He barely hurt me! You can't just go around killing people," I tell him.

"Really?! Because you seem to forget that I am a god and I can do what I want," he replies. I want to pull out my hair, I know he's a god, but his face looks very punch-able right now, he doesn't get it! Rhea will be more susceptible to monsters now that Gabe is gone.

"You don't get it Poseidon. Now that Gabe is gone, her scent will be more susceptible to monsters now. Her life is in danger," I tell him.

"You don't understand Sally, Rhea hasn't been living at home for months now. She has been visiting you now and then, but Gabe's scent wouldn't be enough to cover her over such a long period of time. Add that to the fact that she has been living with Hestia, an old, powerful goddess, which shows me that she hasn't once been attacked by a monster. I can't sense his scent on her here, and it's only been a few days. Do you see where I am going with this?" he asks, and my eyes widen at the revelation.

"How is it that she hasn't been attacked yet then, if what you're saying is true?"

"I don't know why she hasn't been attacked, but it's a blessing. Your now ex-husband deserves what he got. He is a despicable mortal, and I don't regret ridding this world of him. He posed a threat to you, and in turn a threat to Rhea," he replies.

I take a deep breath in, and out.

"I'm going to my room. I need to process all of this," I tell him, turning around after he gives me a nod

I sat down on my bed, alone in my room.

Did I marry Gabe for nothing? After all these years, did marrying Gabe protect Rhea against the monsters, or did I bring the monster into our home?

I fell asleep on my bed and woke up who knows how many hours later with a knock on my door.

"Mom?" I hear Rhea's voice call out.

"Honey? Come in."

She enters through the door.

"Mom, dad told me what happened. Are you okay?" she asks, biting her lip.

"I'm okay. It's shocking to say the least. I did not expect your father to kill Gabe, I'm still processing it" I reply.

"Me too. I didn't expect dad to kill Gabe. I didn't like the guy, especially when he hurt you. I'm going to sound psycho, but I wish I had killed him for lifting his hands against you. At least I got my petty revenge with the laxatives," she says softly.

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry about all of this," I say, pulling her into a hug.

"Mom, it's not your fault. You wanted to protect me," she replies.

"You're still so young. You shouldn't even be involved in things like these. You shouldn't have to worry about monsters and gods trying to kill you, or even your own mother marrying a sleaze bag in hopes to protect you."

Rhea and I spoke for another few minutes before she offered to get me a cup of coffee.

And the moment she left, Poseidon came knocking on my door.

"I'm sorry," he says when I open the door.

"For what?"

"For hurting you. I didn't think you loved him and-" he starts but I interrupt,

"I didn't love him Poseidon. The only person I have ever truly fell in love with, had been you. I married Gabe to protect her, and now it might have been all for nothing. I'm a terrible mother," I say and his eyes soften.

"You're not a terrible mother Salls. You're a great parent, better than what I've ever been or will ever be. I'll always protect you and Rhea, always, to the best of my abilities. You might not like it, or approve of my ways, but I'll be there for you."

"Thank you Poseidon," I give him a smile and he hugs me.

"Awe, look at you two," Rhea says, with a wide smile, fluttering her eyes, and in her hands, my coffee.

"Coffee! That's exactly what I need right now. Thanks darling," I tell her, taking the cup from her hands and inhaling the scent.

Poseidon POV

"Brother, it's good to see this side of you again. You've grown stagnant over the millennia," Hades said, watching the Gabe Ugliano being dragged to Hades' personal torture chamber.

"You're right brother, it seems that I've grown stagnant over the years, but no more. I will protect my family, my daughter, whatever it takes. People often forget how cruel the ocean can be, they often forget how deep and dark its waters go. If they stand against me, they will remember once again the true power of the ocean," I tell him with a smirk.

With an equally dark smirk, Hades said, "Our siblings believes that we are the weakest, but we know the truth. And as much as it pains me to say, out of all of us Poseidon, you are the strongest. You have always been. They believe you are benevolent, but they forget that you're the one who usually won most of the battles, the one who showed no mercy to our enemies. You were a raging storm, and the younger gods won't know what to expect."

"I'll revel in their fear once they find out," I reply, "but until then, I have to face the wrath of Rhea's mother once I tell her what I've don't to her husband. I don't know how she'll take the news, but it probably won't be great."

Hades gives a boisterous laugh, "after everything I've said, the gods fearing you, and here you look scared to approach this mortal woman."

"You don't know this mortal woman like I do. I swear, one glare from her would have you melting like ice under the sun."

"I would love to meet this woman. She sounds fascinating. The woman who stole my brother's heart for a moment."

"She stole my heart for eternity. I will always love her. But we will never be more than friends. You know, she and Amphitrite are getting along," I state.

"Really? But your wife hates everyone."

"That's what I thought too," I reply.

A/N: What do you think of this chapter?

Sally's Pov is fun to write, but I like writing in Poseidon's POV too.