Chapter 3

"Are you daydreaming about your sexy boss?"

"I am not dreaming about my boss Amanda," I said rolling my eyes as she burst out laughing from the other end of the FaceTime call.

"My bad, you're just thinking of her fingers all up in you."

I felt my neck heat up and if I could visibly blush, I probably would have.

She started laughing again, and I joined in. I was in bed under the covers, where I had been basically the whole day. My first week had been stressful, and I was glad when the weekend finally came around.

I held my phone and watched as Amanda continued to cackle.

"Well, are you done yet?"

That seemed to trigger Amanda, and she started laughing again, which caused me to giggle as I watched her.

My phone pinged and a notification bubble suddenly popped up at the top of my screen.

Miss Rose:

There's been an unexpected meeting we have to attend. It's a dinner, so wear something nice. I'd be there to pick you up in 30.

My mind went totally blank as I stared at the text.

"You okay?" Amanda asked, she had stopped laughing and was now squinting into the camera to get a better view of my face.

"She's coming," I said, yanking my bonnet off my head and rushing out of bed, I immediately went to the bathroom and began washing my face.

"Who is? The Bye Bye Man?"

From her chuckles afterwards, I could tell Amanda found her joke to be hilarious.

I splashed cold water on my face as I rushed back to my room, "no, my CEO. There's a sudden dinner we have to go to"

"Ew, work on a Saturday," Amanda said as she crinkled her face in disgust.

"She's a busy woman." I replied whilst searching through my closet for a suitable dress.

"Yeah, sure..."

Amanda ended up picking out a dress for me, I did my makeup in a manner that I hoped was suitable for a business dinner, and styled my braids in a bun at the top of my head.

Another notification from Miss Rose popped up on my phone, indicating to me that she was downstairs. I took one last look in the mirror before grabbing my purse and walking out of my apartment.

"There you are." Miss Rose said once she noticed me. She was leaning casually against her black Jeep.

I quickly took her in, she was dressed in a wine suit, topped off as usual with trainers. These ones were dark red with flower patterns down the side. Her hair was swept to the side of her face.

I was too busy checking out Miss Rose that I didn't notice her checking me out. She finally locked eyes with mine, her deep green eyes locking with my dark brown ones.

"You look gorgeous."

Those three words sent my mind spiraling and my heart racing.

I mumbled a quick, "thank you."

We got into the car and I tried to compose myself whilst Miss Rose gave me the rundown of the dinner we were about to attend. The purpose of the meeting, the type of people that were gonna be there, who I could talk to, who I should talk to, who I shouldn't even bother with. I nodded my head as I tried to take everything in.

The restaurant was huge and as we approached, I could hear soft piano music already playing. The interior was filled with soft lights and the quiet sounds of people filled my ears. There were various important looking people gathered around tables scattered all around the restaurant.

"Stay close." Miss Rose whispered in my ear as we were guided towards our table. I ignored the goosebumps forming down my neck and instead concentrated on weaving in and out of spaces to finally get to our table.

There were people already seated and Miss Rose shook hands with most of them, I followed behind her and did likewise before we took our seats at the table.

The waiters began serving the food, and I felt my stomach rumbling just staring at the plate before me. As I dug in, Miss Rose and the others broke into business discussions. I kept attentive to what was being discussed as I needed to make notes on it later.

Occasionally Miss Rose would turn to me and whisper something about each person. She seemed more relaxed here, and it was exciting watching her.

By the time the dinner was over, I was stuffed. Everyone began to shake hands and say their goodbyes.

"Come on, Muna, let's go on a quick walk before heading back." Miss Rose whispered with a twinkle in her eyes.

I immediately got off from my seat and followed her outside. It was late, and the sky was dark. I clutched my bare shoulders as the wind blew past. Without so much of a word, I watched as Miss Rose took off her blazer and placed it around my shoulders before we began walking again. We were walking side by side at a steady pace. The night was so still and silent, the only noise to be heard was the sound of my heels and Miss Rose's trainers against the gravel.

"So, how are you finding it here?" Miss Rose asked, her voice infiltrating my thoughts.

"Oh um, the food is really good. I like how they decorated the inside, the red color really-"

"Not the restaurant, dummy. I mean, living here. Being away from home. Being in California. " She looked at me with amusement in her eyes, and I couldn't help smiling shyly, which seemed to make her smile wider. I felt really warm inside.

"Well, besides from work, I don't know anyone if I'm being honest," I mumbled.

"Are the hours too much for you?"

"No," I said instantly, "I'm just not good at meeting people and all that."

"You were fine meeting me"

Was I really? Oh boy, if you knew the half of it.

We were silent for some time. We walked in front of a water fountain and Miss Rose stopped abruptly in front of it.

"This fountain is believed to be magical, and visiting it with someone else is believed to form an unbreakable bond."

She was staring at the fountain as she spoke. I listened to the water gushing out before she turned and her eyes fixed on me.

"Do you believe that?" I asked.

"I hope so, that means we get to be together." My head was pounding. My mouth suddenly went really dry. Together? "And I'm tired of having all my other PA's leave after a few days. It's exhausting finding new ones each time."

My heart fell. The bond she was thinking of was purely on a professional level. But what did I expect? She was my CEO and I shouldn't think anything more would come out of our "relationship". I needed to get over this stupid crush I had.

"It's getting late." Miss Rose suddenly said as she glanced down at her watch.

She began walking back to her car, and I followed silently behind her as I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat.