III. Departure

"You got to be kidding me," Dai sighed, "I really don't feel like going to freaking Japan."
"If Jace is there, why would it matter whether you want to or not?" Kai retorted, "We should go!"
"Yeah! It's the right thing to do," Luke agreed.
"No, I know," Dai exhaled deeply, "I know."
"Aria says they're just waiting for Ryū to come back," Luke added, reading from his phone.
"We might as well go and meet up with them," Dai suggested.
"Mhm," Kai agreed, then sighed, "This certainly isn't what I had in mind for winter break, either."
"Yeah," Luke agreed, "If Ryū confirms this... 'Bàs Fuar'... thing is real, though..."
"We gotta go get Jace, for sure," Dai said, "The Bàs Fuar is a mythic guild of ice Gifted mercenaries. They're very dangerous."
"And we, six hormonal teenagers," Kai interjected, "Are gonna go in take 'em down easy peasy."
"That's why I'm hoping to God Ryū comes with us, if we go," Dai said, "He could deal with them no problem."
"What about your mom?" Luke asked.
"What about her?" Kai asked back.
"Won't she be against her kids going to fight mercenaries?" Luke asked.
"He has a point," Dai said, "We can't tell Mom. She was already irate over The Bolt."
"We'll think of something," Kai dismissed, "Now, come on. Let's get over to Ms. Danford's office."

❄️

Lena, Aria, and Raina impatiently waited outside Danford's office. They then heard a quiet sound from inside, and a moment later, Danford came through the door.
"He's back."

The three almost jumped on their feet, hurrying inside. They saw Ryū standing by the desk, arms crossed.
"Well??" Lena asked.
He looked up at the three girls.
"It's there," he said, "A strange temple near the top of Mt. Ibuki, overlooking Nagahama. Upon closer inspection, it does belong to the Bàs Fuar."
"Okay, so why didn't you just go in and get Jace?" Raina asked.
Ryū sighed.
"There are many reasons why we Gods stay hidden," he said, "If I just make an appearance in Japan with all my power, it might not end well. Not just for me, but for you all as well."
"And what are those reasons?" Raina asked.
"Do you have all day?" Ryū retorted strictly.
Raina huffed and crossed her arms.
"We don't have time for this," Lena said, "If you can't publicly use your power for whatever reason, fine. Just come with us to save him."
Ryū looked to Danford, who returned the glance.

"Fine," he said, "I'll keep you safe."
"Thank you," Lena said.
"I should notify the boys," Raina said.
"Oh, so we're going?" Luke asked.
Everyone turned around in surprise to see the three boys standing at the door.
"It's real?" Dai asked, "Jace might be there?"
"Indeed," Ryū said.
"Well, before we go," Kai said, "Can we have a little time to prepare? Our mom is expecting us and-"
"Fine," Ryū said, "You all have thirty minutes to do what you need to do."

The twins waved Raina over and the three siblings stepped out into the hallway.
Aria then pulled out her phone, "I should text my brother."
Lena sat on the couch, pinching her nose. She paused and pulled out her phone. Looking through her contacts, she finally came across Melany's. She took another moment, considering what to say.
She then called her, holding the phone to her ear.

Melany was in her dorm, going through a book, when her phone started ringing on her side table. She saw that it was Lena calling, and answered.
"Lena?"
"Hey, Mel," Lena said, "I wanted to tell you that uh... I won't be going back with you to your mom's."
"What? Lena, why?" Melany asked.
"We found Jace. We're going to go get him," she explained.
"Wait, WHAT?!!" Melany shouted, "Wait, Lena, where are you going?"
"Far," Lena replied, "I just wanted to let you know. We'll bring him back."
"Lena, wait, where are you? I can come with you!" Melany said, "Don't go it alone!"
"I'm not alone," Lena said, "Please, Mel. It'll be okay. Just go to your mom's."
"Lena, I-" Melany started.
"Please," Lena interrupted, "I'll see you soon."
She then hung up, leaving Melany flabbergasted on her end.

Luke joined her on the couch, looking at the solemn expression on her face.
"Hey," he said, "Lighten up! We're gonna get Jace."
He nudged her elbow, grinning.
Lena exhaled sharply, "I'm just worried we'll fail... or die..."
Luke's grin softened, nodding understandingly.
"It is a big risk," Luke said, "But with all of us together, and Ryū, I think we'll be fine. You're strong, and so are we."
Lena just smiled appreciatively at Luke, who wrapped his arm around her and rocked her back and forth.

The three Frays were in the hallway, discussing their own plan.
"Okay, so you'll stay behind to appease Mom," Dai said, "And to cover for us."
"Yes," Raina said, wiping her nose, "Y'all just better come back alive."
Dai and Kai looked at her with reassuring glances.
"We will be fine," Kai said, "Just cover for us."
Raina nodded, then her expression soured as she looked behind them.
Dai and Kai turned around and their expressions quickly turned to disgust.

Hunter stood there, hands in pockets, having heard everything.
"Hunter," Raina snarled.
Aria peeked her head out of the office door, "Huh??"
Hunter sighed, and stepped forward.
"Why do you need a cover story, Super Twins?" he asked condescendingly.
"It is none of your concern," Dai said.
"I find it very suspicious that you're all hanging around outside the Head Honcho's office," Hunter went on, "What exactly is going on here?"
"I'm sorry, you must have a hearing deficiency because you clearly didn't hear my brother when he said it was none of your concern," Raina snapped.

Danford then stepped outside, "What is going on out here?"
"Ms. Danford," Hunter said, "Are you and these guys up to something?"
Danford paused, considering her words.
"Hm," Hunter said, "Hesitation is quite telling, ma'am."
"I don't recall you being so bold," Danford replied.
Lena then exited with Lena and Luke, "What is-"
She saw Hunter, and immediately stopped.
"Hey, Lena," Hunter said.
"Screw you," Lena retorted, "What do you want?"
"To know what in the hell is going on here," Hunter replied.
"As if we wou-" Lena started.
"It's Jace," Luke said, "We're going to get him."
"LUKE!" Lena exclaimed.
"...Wait... you actually know where he is?" Hunter asked.
Dai sighed, "Yes, we do. We're going with The Heat to get him."
Hunter paused, "Let me come."
"You wish," Raina said, "In case you forgot, we don't like you."
"I don't care," Hunter retorted, "But... maybe I could make it up to him..."
Silence followed.

Ryū then exited as well, having heard everything. Hunter stepped back, intimidated.
"Miss Raina," he said, "You are staying, so I overhear?"
"Yes," Raina replied, "To cover for my brothers."
"Very well," Ryū said, turning to Hunter, "Then we need all the help we can get."
"You CAN'T be serio-" Lena started.
"We leave now, we'll be back soon," Ryū ordered, and he snapped his fingers.
He, the twins, Luke, Lena, Aria, and Hunter all were teleported away, leaving Danford and Raina alone.

An awkward silence fell between the two.
"Welp," Raina said, "Here's to hoping they come back with him."
"Indeed," Danford agreed.