Scrimmage

After school the next day, Brendon went to the soccer field and sat up in the bleachers. He didn't have to wait long before the team came out. They were all happily chatting amongst themselves as they stretched.

It was easy to spot Pete. Brendon could practically hear how he was gonna score a lot in tomorrow's game. He wouldn't doubt it. Pete was really confident and had the skills to back up his talk.

Brendon scanned through the rest of the players, trying to find a specific one. He frowned as he looked over the team at least three times, not being satisfied with his search.

"Looking for someone?" Brendon jumped in his seat, snapping his head to the voice beside him. Ryan stood laughing at the other's scared reaction.

"Where the hell did you come from," Brendon huffed. Ryan jerked a finger at the staircase on the other side of the bleachers. "Oh. Right." Ryan was still smiling brightly as he took the empty spot next to Brendon.

"Came to watch the scrimmage?" Brendon nodded and gave a sheepish smile.

"Thought it'd be more convenient with our plans to go eat after."

"I was planning on going home to take a shower so I didn't smell."

"Oh yeah. Right. That... that would've been smart of me to think about." Brendon didn't even consider that. He was just excited for the date.

"We can go straight after if you wouldn't mind taking the chance that I might smell bad."

"That's fine. I don't mind." Ryan bit his lip, looking like he was deciding to do something or not. Before he could make a move, the coach called for him so they could start.

"You'll be here when practice is over?" Brendon nodded. With another smile, Ryan hurried down the stairs and joined the rest of the team.

Brendon sat back and watched the players throw on white and black practice jerseys and get put into mirrored positions on the field. If he was being honest, he never really watched any sports, so he wasn't entirely sure what to expect. All he knew was you had to score the most points, just like almost every other sport.

Pete was the captain of the team so he had some vague idea what might happen based on how he talked to his teammates around school, but he was never pressured into going to a game which he appreciated. Looking back now, he probably should've taken Pete up on his offer to watch a couple of their practices. Right now all he was sure of was that Pete was on the white jersey team and Ryan was wearing black.

The coach set a ball down in the center of a circle in the middle of the field. Pete stood with another player of his team. When the whistle blew, the ball was kicked into play. Three white jersey boys ran over the center field line, the center boy dribbling the ball skillfully.

When the ball was passed, a black jersey player intercepted and changed the direction of ball. Brendon watched as each team pushed the ball back and forth over the center line, fighting for possession. Brendon was impressed with the fancy footwork some players managed to do and their passing skills were pretty accurate if the other team wasn't able to steal the ball.

Pete was running down the field, ball in his control. He weaved around players like it was no problem at all. Soon, it looked like it was just Pete, the goalie and the net. As Pete wound his leg back and kicked the ball to the bottom corner of the net. It seemed liked Ryan came out of no where and blocked the ball from entering the goal. The ball ricocheted off his thigh and flew out of of bounds.

Brendon let out an excited yelp and immediately clamped his hand over his mouth. He didn't realize how into the game he was until that shot. Ryan smirked up at Brendon and Pete gave a pout. He was always prideful and upset when he couldn't score.

As the ball was put back into play, Brendon was able to understand more of what was going on. There was only one person allowed to grab the ball and they were the ones in the goal. There were a few players designated to scoring and a few that stayed back by the goal to defend their side.

By the looks of it, Pete was the team's best offensive player, being given the ball most to score. It was a smart move seeing that he had the best accuracy. Ryan looked to be his team's best defensive player, being the only one to consistantly keep Pete from scoring.

Ryan ran up as Pete aimed the ball at the net. Brendon noticed, Pete's split second decision to redirect the ball around Ryan. His choice caused the ball to soar just over the net and out of bounds. Ryan pushed Pete playfully to get him to relax. Pete slung his arm around Ryan's neck putting him in a loose chokehold.

It was nice to see that how playful they still were even being on opposite teams. It wasn't hard to recognize the bond the boys shared through the sport. Win or lose, they remained as one team that thought and moved strategically together. Brendon noticed that as the scrimmage came to an end.

He found himself pouting at the fact that Ryan's team lost 2-3. He was also happy that Pete's team won because well Pete was a really good soccer player. They earned the win.

Brendon made his way to the fence stopping him from going on the field. Ryan ran to meet him, light sweat on his forehead.

"You did good," Brendon complimented. Ryan was gave a charming smile.

"You think? Pete is one of the top shooters in the state, so he's always a challenge to defend." Brendon returned the smile with a shrug.

"If that's how you play against one of the best, you must look unstoppable against everyone else." Ryan chuckled and looked back at the team.

"I'm good, but all of us together is what makes us unstoppable." He turned back to Brendon. "Let me go grab my stuff and we'll go, alright?" Brendon nodded and watched Ryan run off.

"You actually came to a practice." Pete took the spot Ryan was just standing in.

"I did. You were really good."

"Thanks. So does this mean you'll be coming to the game tomorrow?" Brendon shrugged hesitantly. "Well you should. If you were impressed now, wait till you see our starting varsity. Plus," he leaned in close to whisper in Brendon's ear. "I know a lot of people think Ryan looks really hot in his uniform."

Brendon blushed new shades of red he didn't know he could. Pete snickered and waved before running off to join a few guys headed back to the lockerroom. Brendon chewed his bottom lip, twisting the fabric of his shirt awkwardly.

"Ready to head out?" Brendon looked up and saw that Ryan had washed himself down, his hair lightly dripping water. His causal clothes clung to his wet body.

"Hmm. Yep. Let's go," Brendon mumbled, trying not to get distracted. Ryan didn't question Brendon's sudden nervousness, only found it adorable. He kept his thoughts to himself and led Brendon to his car.