CHAPTER 17

Garfield had it right - Monday's sucked.

For Emma, that particular Monday was shaping up to be the worst one yet. Her morning hadn't started well. She'd woken up with deep black rings under her eyes and she'd missed her first alarm. She'd been forced to scramble to work and Emma hated scrambling to work. It always left her mind in a daze.

She had rushed so quickly to get out the door that she'd forgotten her car was still parked in her parents' driveway. She should've made Joey drop her off there like he'd offered; instead, her pride and worry had forced a no, out of her lips. Now, she had no transport and finding a cab so late in the morning would be a nightmare.

Emma stood frozen outside her building nibbling her lip. Already the streets were busy with morning traffic, loud car horns and no available cabs. Emma felt the desire to turn around and call it a day but, she hated disappointing her patients. Gina was a special one to her. The disappointment would cut worse.

A loud car suddenly blared its horn and Emma's shoulders jolted. The sudden vibration from her phone didn't slow her heart rate either. She was a wreck. She distractedly took out her phone and pressed to answer. "Hello."

"Uh, hi Em." It was Joey. Emma stopped staring down the street and focused on the call. "Listen I forgot to mention yesterday that we need to do an interview with you this morning."

Emma's brows furrowed. "Why?"

"We'd like you to speak about your first date. Our listeners want to know how Will fared as bachelor number one." He chuckled awkwardly at the end.

Emma scratched her head. "I can't come in now. I've got work and I'm already running late."

She could hear his frown. "We can do it through a call. We'll make it a pre-recorded interview then so we can alter your voice."

It sounded easy enough, but Emma had enough to worry about. "I don't know. I'm trying to get to work, I don't think I can concentrate on an interview as well."

"What do you mean you're trying to get to work?" He paused and Emma closed her eyes knowing he'd figure it out. "You don't have your car with you, do you?" She kept quiet and he quickly cussed under his breath. "You said you'd get it last night after I dropped you off."

"I know but, I forgot." she said quickly. Truthfully, she'd got distracted with a new show and she'd forgot all about it. It was also why exhaustion weighed down her body.

"Dammit. Hold on." He cut the line and Emma frowned. She pulled her phone away and stared at it in confusion. She still had signal.

A minute later, it rang again. and Emma quickly answered. "What happened?" she asked.

He chuckled. "Listen, a buddy of mine stays in your street. I've asked if he'd give you a lift."

"Wai-"

"He owes me one and I caught him in time."

"Wai-"

"Look out for a red Mercedes. The ass is all about status. His name is Fred. He's tall, has dark hair and is probably wearing a white V-neck shirt without sleeves."

Emma's mind was spinning heavily. She couldn't figure out what was going on. "What are you talking about?" she eventually asked.

"Let him take you to work and on your way, we'll do the interview. Two birds and all that."

Emma held her forehead. "You can't just do that."

"Look, I trust the guy."

"Doesn't mean I do," she argued back. Another horn suddenly blasts in front of her and Emma jumped. She looked ahead and found a red Mercedes parked against the curb. A thick tan arm stuck out the window. "I think your friend is here," she muttered.