i. Sweet Sixteen

.

"IT all started with a powerful witch who had an ability unlike any other. Back then, witches and wizards compared her to the likes of Merlin and Circe — and they had reason too. She was related to Merlin, after all. A distant cousin."

"Related to Merlin? So does that mean she had powers like him, too?"

"Powers that aren't like his, Margo. A unique ability was bestowed upon her and her entire bloodline; an ability to move objects with a mere thought. We call it kinisis."

"Kinisis? Wait. . .w-what do you mean 'we', mum?"

"She was your ancestor, Margo. Our ancestor. It is because of her that we have that same magic flowing through our veins. Every woman in the family throughout each generation has this gift. And it is finally discovered to its full potential on the night of her sixteenth birthday. This is usually where learning how to control and contain it will begin. This power along with a wand makes us one of the most powerful and vulnerable people in the world."

"You mean that I—that we—"

"Yes. It was because of that power many Muggles wanted to burn her at the stake, along with the many other witches that suffered in Salem."

"Hang on—Salem? A-as in the trials. . .oh my, Merlin. There—there was a story about this — a witch named Genevieve. . .but I thought she wasn't real. That this can't be real. . .the coincidences are too big—"

"It is very much real, Mar. Have you ever wondered why things suddenly just fall or break when you're angry? A sensation happing in your gut before that happens? The curse or prophecy that was placed upon your shoulders?"

"The curse. . ."

"Yes. . .the curse that Genevieve has put on her descendant. . .that unfortunately has decided to claim you, Margo."

"Why—why me?"

"The curse can only be true when that descendant is born in the same year of the Chosen One, which we now know is Harry Potter. Your fates being intertwined with another — the stars made sure of that the night Genevieve placed the cursed."

"But why place the curse in the first place? What made her do it? Mum. . .what's the curse even about?"

"No one knows why she did it, Margo. That is one thing that remains a mystery ever since. As for the curse. . .are you ready to hear it?"

"Yes. . ."

"You—you are a weapon, Margo. . .It seems that you and Harry are one in the same — the key to stop this war and save us. . .or destroy us all."

Then everything in the dining table suddenly levitated in mid-air, floating at head level. From the cutlery, used tissues that had been crumpled up, to some flowers from the vase — all in the air.