One Dance

"No- Molly, I'm fine really. It's not a big deal. I've never been much of a dancer," Emma tried to release the Weasley matriarch's hold on her wrist, who was currently pushing her to dance with Charlie.

"Nonsense, dear! Besides Charlie is already waiting there. You see? You wouldn't disappoint him now, would you? Off you go!" With a slight shove Emma hesitantly walked towards Charlie who stood on the dance floor awkwardly waiting for her. She could see Bill and Fleur dancing away from the corner of her eyes, along with many others on the floor. 

The wedding had been a simple yet elegant affair. One that had only left Emma with a sense of anxiety in her stomach no matter how happy she was for the newlywed couple. It didn't help that Emma could feel Remus' gaze on her the entire time while she remained steadfast in looking forward at the altar where the ceremony was happening. 

The wounds of their break-up still festering fresh in her mind- if she could even call it that. Don't you break up when you're in a relationship? Was that even dating?  Whatever it was now is over, that's all she knew for sure.

It felt as if that whole evening had gone by in a blur as she remembered Tonks' eagerness to make him feel better not even an hour after what had happened. She hadn't seen either of them since the day she walked out other than for the Order meetings. Thinking that he had just needed a few days more to think, she had attempted to talk to him the first time she saw him. But he just walked past her without another glance.

She got the message. Loud and clear.

Molly and Arthur had been nothing but welcoming since the moment she had shown up at the Burrow, with her suitcase and in a mess. In the following months, she had busied herself around the Burrow and a weekend or two at Hogwarts, helping out with whoever needed her. 

With Dumbledore now gone, his presence left a gap in many things they had to achieve at the Order. Molly had taken her temporary residence at the Weasleys' as a chance to talk up Charlie to her, who she kept reminding her would be at the wedding.

"Sorry about her. She's pretty stubborn once she has her mind set on something. I think she really likes you. That and now that Bill's married, she's hoping I'm next soon," Charlie apologised sheepishly once she was within hearing range. He held out his hand for her which she took with a small smile.

"It's okay. I know she means well," her voice was low. She didn't bring herself to look at Charlie in the eyes dreading seeing the look of pity. It seems that some people in the Order had taken to treating her as if she were made of glass. Molly and Remus included. 

Don't need his pity that's for sure, she thought grimly. Charlie led her in the dance and they slowly waltzed around the other couples while he tried to initiate some small talk.

Her gaze was now fixed on his shoulders, occasionally shifting her eyes around her to make sure she wouldn't bump into anyone. Although for some reason she felt a gnawing sensation at her back that she couldn't shake off. She thought that she could feel his gaze burning holes in the back of her head.

"I heard about you and Remus," he said suddenly drawing her attention.

She scoffed. "You mean the part where he tossed me out like an old issue of Witch Weekly?"

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," she looked at Charlie who was smirking. "I mean he looks like he's ready to rip my head off this second," he pulled Emma a little closer which earned him a view of Sirius holding back Remus by the arm from doing something he'd regret such as storming over. 

"I think I can see him itching to grab his wand now," he whispered in her ear. Instead of responding Emma just gulped, unsure of what to make of his claims.