Charles Smith: Facing the West Part 2

Charles Smith X Female Reader (Arthur's sister)

Summary: It's 1907 and it's time to reunite with some old faces.

Word Count: 3500

Seven years had passed since the disbandment of the Van der Linde gang, seven years since you and Charles decided to move your lives to Canada. And Canada continued to be where the two of you lived, your little home and piece of land in the mountains, surrounded by clean air. It was even the perfect distance from town, close enough to make easy visits but far enough to feel like the two of you had your own little slice of heaven in your private home.

You were cleaning up the kitchen, wiping down the counter-tops, when you felt two strong arms wrap around your waist.

"Hi" you chuckled fondly as you lent back against Charles' chest, dropping the cloth and placing your hands on his forearms.

"I found this on the way in" Charles told you as he held a closed envelope out in front of you.

"A letter?" you took the item from him. "Who from?" you asked.

"Not sure. Open it and find out" Charles teased and you just rolled your eyes before opening the letter.

You read the letter with Charles reading it over your shoulder, still holding you back against his chest.

"Charles and Y/n,

I hope this letter finds you well...or finds you at all. We are doing well, Abigail and Jack are happy, Uncle still doesn't pull his weight but that shouldn't surprise either of you. As much I'd like for this letter to just be from one friend reaching out to another in the hopes of reconnecting, that isn't the case. Mrs Adler and I ran into each other and, long story short, became aware of Micah Bell's location. Of course, Abigail has told me to leave it be but we plan on heading out to find him. Sadie suggested that we reach out to you both, we weren't sure whether we should but finally decided to give you the choice. We would understand if you wanted to keep the past behind you, that may be the best thing to do, but we will offer you the chance to join us. Please, even if you don't want to pursue this, write to us."

"...John Marston" you read the name at the bottom of the letter out loud, sounding surprised by the revelation.

"I didn't know what to expect from this letter...but that wasn't it" Charles confessed, sounding equally as surprised.

"They're going after Micah" you stated as if he hadn't just read the exact same letter.

"...what do you want to do?" Charles asked, giving you the choice, happy to follow your lead on this.

You turned around in his arms and he placed his hands on your waist as he held you in front of him, watching your face in an attempt to read whatever you were thinking.

"Micah deserves everything that he gets...he really does. He deserves to die but...Arthur always said that revenge was a fool's game, I know that he wouldn't want me to go" you sighed but Charles could see the conflict written all over your face.

"You're right, he wouldn't but just because he wouldn't want you to go doesn't mean that you don't have to. I know that you don't want to go against what he would've asked of you but...what do you think you need to do?" Charles asked, only aiming to help you make a decision that you wouldn't question in a few days.

"We should go...something tells me that we have to" you decided, this time sounding more confident in your answer.

"Then we go. I'll write to John, let him know we're on our way" Charles gave you a reassuring smile but you just nodded.