Forty

"Enough with all the racket!" Klaus yells from the balcony.

"Is there a problem, brother?" Elijah asked, before he turned to the workers. "Gentlemen, please." The construction stopped, and the men walked away as Amelia trailed after Klaus, down the stairs.

"I agreed to a general sprucing up, not a bloody three-ring circus," Klaus said.

"Marcel and his minions abused our home for the better part of a century. Now, you might be content to live in squalor. I'm not," Elijah told him.

"I agree with your brother. It's a new era in the French Quarter. This place could use a makeover," Genevieve said, walking into the compound. Amelia rolled her eyes when she saw a longing glance that Genevieve gave Klaus.

"What do you want?" Klaus asked.

"I have a request. I'm told our coven hasn't been able to celebrate feast days in the open since Marcel restricted the use of magic. Now with the new peace, I'd like that to change," Genevieve said.

"Am I to assume that you have a certain feast day in mind?" Elijah asked.

"La Fête des Bénédictions," Genevieve told him, earning a chuckle from Klaus and a smile from Elijah. "Feast of the Blessings. In the past, members of the community offered witches gifts in exchange for blessings. We'd like to use it as a forum for introducing our young Harvest girls to society."

"So your coven attempted to destroy my family-- and you yourself held my siblings in unspeakable torment-- and you would like a party for the witches?" Elijah said. Genevieve looked over at Klaus, practically drooling, making Amelia want to gag.

"Why don't you think it over?" Genevieve told Elijah before walking out of the compound.

"Oh, don't be such a stiff, Elijah. The tourists love a good festival. Besides, what better way to cement the solidarity than a show of faith toward a one-time enemy?" Klaus asked.

"A onetime enemy that you seem to have forgiven far too quickly for her transgression against you," Elijah responded.

"What can I say? I was feeling generous," Klaus said, a smirk on his face.

"One would think you'd be a little more interested in attending to the needs of the mother of your child, than partying," Elijah said.

"So, she's the reason behind this oh-so-thoughtful renovation? Elijah, the truth is, the mother of my child is werewolf royalty. She's far safer in the Bayou with her pack than she would ever be here with us. Don't worry. I'll bring her home before the birth," Klaus assured him, before he turned and started walking away. "No child of mine will be born in a swamp." Amelia and Elijah watched him go, and Elijah turned to her with an eyebrow raised.

"I don't claim responsibility for him," Amelia said, raising her hands in defense, causing Elijah to chuckle lightly.

***

"Oh, you'll what? You're gonna rat him out to his older brother? You're gonna turn them against each other? You're exiled from the Quarter. Elijah even smells you coming, and you're dead," Amelia heard as she walked into the building that Marcel was staying in. The voice sounded like Thierry, Marcel's old second in command.

"You don't know them like I do. They're half-turned against each other already. A thousand years of family drama, pride, guilt, envy, all built up like a powder keg. All you have to do is light a match," Marcel said. Amelia remained out of sight as she listened in, to their conversation.

"Then where do we buy matches? Look around, Marcel. We have nothing," Thierry said.

"I started with nothing. Hell, things didn't get rolling until I turned you. You and your music and the whole city for the taking. Those were the days, T. Let's go get them back," Marcel said. Thierry vamp sped out of the building, and Amelia emerged from the shadows that she was hiding in.