Chapter I - A White Candle

New Year's Eve, 2019

My sister shivers beside me, taking a tighter grip on my arm, "It's getting colder."

My eyes narrow slightly with her comment, but I don't address it. "Addie, you're hurting my arm," I mutter, my eyes travelling to where she's got a vice-like hold on me.

Adelaide follows my stare, releasing it after a moment, continuing to keep her arm looped through mine. "Sorry," she mutters, "I wish Verity would hurry the fuck up."

I turn my gaze to Verity, who appears to be struggling with the bouncer at the door for the first time. The first time that I've seen her, rather. I suppose it serves her right to have an issue for choosing a club that is notoriously difficult to get into. I don't know much about it but I've heard it's owned by some footballer she's eyeing up. Somehow, I don't think flirting with the bouncer is going to help her onto husband number two.

"Two's a charm. Why don't you go and help her?" I suggest with a little nudge and a smirk. "Can think of a few ways to easily persuade him."

"Ce, you're the single one." Adelaide reminds me, but it somehow feels far from the truth. "Why don't you go and help her?"

"Because I can't flirt to save my life," I argue, shaking my head and staring away from where my younger sister seemingly wasn't getting anywhere. That much is true - I can't flirt. I've sailed through over nine-hundred without flirting to get my way, and I don't intend to start now. Apparently that means sacrificing bringing in another countless decade in some sport star's posh club and upsetting my sister for a few years, but so be it.

"Not saying you have to flirt," she winks at me. "I'm saying he might appreciate seeing you on your knees."

"You're disgusting - that's an insult to Mother and our Priestess." I shove her a little and peel her arm from me.

"Oh, please. I'm sure you've done way worse." Addie rolls her eyes. "Been single your entire life, can't tell me you've never sucked a dick before."

"Watch your language, for crying out loud," I hiss, shaking her arm away from mine and folding my arms across my chest. It's comments like those that remind me she's the youngest - and by some margin, too.

Adelaide rolls her eyes, but doesn't push me any further.

"Addie, Cecily!"

We look to Verity who now stands with a delighted smile and one hand on the doorman's arm, the other waving us across the street.

I drop my arms with a relieved sigh and usher my youngest sister over with me. My thanks to the unassuming bouncer comes in the form of a smile. Though his return is matched, it also feels a little ogling. I ignore it.

I ignore Verity and Addie's giggles as we drop off our coats in the cloakroom. I stash my ticket in my bra and follow Verity as she leads the way into the loud and overcrowded club. We head straight for the bar, where Adelaide can't wait longer than thirty seconds before she has to call someone over with a little more than just a few pleasant words and a pretty smile. I share a knowing look with Verity, and though part of me wishes we didn't have to use it, I'm grateful we don't have to stand among irritated gawks for more than five minutes.

"What can I get you, ladies?"

I turn my attention to the deep voice behind the bar, and my eyes instinctively narrow. He's awfully attractive for a supposed human barman, and if I didn't know any better I'd say he isn't the human he pretends to be.

I'm not going to cause a scene based on first impressions.

"White wine," Addie points to herself. "White wine," she adds, pointing towards Verity. "Gin and tonic," she finalises, pointing to me. She's forgotten her manners today.