Chapter 11

Warning: This chapter dips into adult territory after Emily puts on the CD.

Finn was curious.

The elevator ride earlier had thrown him, stirring up emotions Finn could not allow himself to feel. He avoided Emily as politely as possible during lunch, not trusting himself to say or worse do something stupid. Lance for his part seemed oblivious to Finn's discomfort. The meal had sat heavy in Finn's stomach and he had lied about needing to be back at the base to avoid a potentially torturous afternoon in the company of the two lawyers.

Except he hadn't gone back to the base. It had been Finn's intent, but after crossing the street and finding himself in a small parkette, a bench beckoned promising support and solitude. A moment to breathe and gain his composure. He needed to think.

Finn hadn't expected to see her again so soon. When he spotted Emily leaving the office on foot, he wondered where she was going. Without thinking, Finn found himself following her.

Keeping her in sight, he kept a decent distance between them, not that Finn needed to worry. Emily never looked back, not even once. She seemed to have a goal in mind, making her way quickly towards it.

The streets changed slightly as they moved away from the office. Greenery expanded as large trees shaded the walk. The buildings turned from concrete to brick. And the people changed as well, fewer and fewer suits, more and more backpacks. Were they on some kind of campus? Was this a school? Finn wanted to know what Emily was doing here. Did she teach after work?

Eventually, Emily stopped in front of a low long building with walls made mostly of glass, providing clear sight to the inside. It was a vast room with a collection of chairs and musical stands at one end. Without hesitation, Emily opened the door and made her way to the opposite side, sitting in one lonely chair.

Positioning himself so he could see Emily without fail, Finn waited. She pulled out a small notebook from her purse and then after a moment of rummaging around, a pen emerged as well. It was a rare moment to study Emily, sitting there, not knowing she was being watched.

Finn noticed how she held herself, straight-backed yet elegant in her posture. Her petite features were enhanced by the late day sun streaming in the windows. Being slightly turned from him, Finn wasn't close enough to see her eyes but he knew, just knew they would be alert and intelligent. This was his Emily on the hunt for something, she was in full inquisitive mode.

His heart rate increased a notch. It was his old Emily. There was an aura of confidence surrounding her and Finn knew she was doing something of importance. Gone was the wallflower of a woman who he interacted with at the office. Even though she was completely alone, she commanded respect.

Except she wasn't alone anymore. Finn had been so absorbed in drinking Emily in he had not noticed the other end of the room, slowly filling with people and instruments. Only when a muted tune started from the group did he recognize the presence of others.

No one interacted with Emily. She simply sat in the corner and started writing in her notebook. Finn desperately wanted to know what words that pen was committing to paper. But he could not draw any closer without fear of being noticed.

The song the band played drew to a close and there was a moment of silence. Then the first few notes of a new song hit Finn's ears. His heart reacted first, recognizing the tune. It was their song. It transported him back to when they first heard it together.

 It transported him back to when they first heard it together