~5~

"Turn on the news," said my mum, as we all sat around the coffee table in the living room, anxiety and fear almost tangible in the air, suffocating us into a loud silence.
I grabbed the remote and switched the channels onto our local news report. Sure enough, they were talking about the mysterious "hate hack", as they were calling it. As it turns out, the Walkers had managed to broadcast it in every place in the entire world. Despite the intense worry I felt at the moment, I couldn't help being super impressed at that. Suddenly, the screen showed us the United Countries leaders standing together on a platform.
"We regret to inform you that, indeed, the hate message broadcasted on every radio and screen today was not entirely wrong. Scientists have confirmed there is indeed a solar storm on the way and our atmosphere is too weak to take it on- not because we destroyed the planet- but simply because it is very strong- too strong- for our Earth. We have organised underground bunkers where we will shelter in for the time being. Stores and supermarkets are closed as of right now as we will provide food and clothes there ourselves. You will be moving into these bunkers starting tomorrow morning. Pack lightly, only precious belongings, toiletries, and a few clothes to last a few weeks. More news on how this situation will work is due to come out shortly after this message ends. Good day to you all, and remember, there is strength in trust. Goodbye."

"Wow, that is a lot. I wonder how the Walkers will handle the flares," blurted out my mum, breaking the silence of the room. Even the news reporters were shocked into silence.
"Wait, you know the Walkers?" asked Maria.
"Well yes of course, we even used to be part of them before they became the Walkers. We used to research injustices and try to keep this world afloat. Then they closed the organisation after government spies joined and now I don't know how people become Walkers anymore. I've heard they even have IDs of some sort now."
"You were a Walker?" I asked, surprised.
"Technically not a "Walker" but yes I was part of the organisation."
"That's pretty cool, I'm impressed," I said, and we spent the rest of the day asking my parents questions about what they did and what it was like.

***

That night, Maria stayed over, not wanting to go home just yet. Her parents were not at home anyway, but they were flying home early the next day to prepare for the massive move to the shelter.
"What do you think the world will look like in a decade?" she asked, staring up at the ceiling of my room.
"Damn, I don't know. Burnt? Deserted? Or will it have passed by then? Who knows..."
"Yeah they said "prepare for two weeks" but we all know it will last longer than that."
"Definitely. That goes without a doubt. Though I guess we will be washing and wearing? And besides they said they'd provide us with food and clothes."
"Government clothes, what a joy," she retorted sarcastically. We fell silent, contemplating just how much life will change soon, and somehow sleep consumed us.

"Come to the lake. Come to us. Come find us. Fløs." I was back next to the lake, deep blue, mountains on the other side. Around me, this time, were several people dressed in all black, wearing masks. "Fløs. Come. We need you."

I jolted upright. Next to me, I felt Maria up too, wide awake. "You saw it too, didn't you."
"Yes. They kept saying Fløs, is that the place they are?"
"It must be the lake."
"Let's look," and she picked up her phone and typed it in. Sure enough, it was a place in Norway. (A/N: I completely made up the name)
"We have to go there, but how?"
"Well your parents were Walkers right? They might let you go."
"I'll ask them in the morning then, otherwise we'll have to think of another way."
She replied with a simple "hm" and fell silent, her head falling back on her pillow. Mine followed suit, but I couldn't find sleep anymore. I sensed that neither could Maria.