Chapter Forty

NOVA WAS QUICK TO MOVE DOWN THE HALLS. She passed doorways with ease avoiding the Asgardians moving about. She was careful not to draw attention to herself, for she was on a mission and didn't dare let anyone stand in her way.

The stubborn brunette wondered if she even had a chance at getting Loki out of his imprisonment, or if the task of seeing him was simply to make herself feel better. Whatever the case, she had to attempt pulling the two broken brothers back together if it meant Thor's happiness. Even if it meant the god would turn her away in the process.

"Pardon me dear," a sweet voice said interrupting her path down the hallway.

Nova looked up immediately turning red in the face at her lack of attention in her steps.

"Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't mean to get in your way," Nova Lee responded kindly stepping away from the beautiful lady in front of her.

The women's curls held down past her chest, her skin fair and kind, her blue eyes oddly familiar to Nova. The Asgardians smile made the girl feel warm inside taking away any ill feelings.

"You must be awfully busy this afternoon, your mind doesn't seem to match your movements."

The women's words felt almost motherly, reminding Nova of the lost parental figure she once had.

"I'm just going to visit a friend, I promised them I'd be perfectly on time and I'm running a bit late."

"I see," she said thoughtfully beginning to turn away, "well do tell my dear mischievous son I said hello."

With that the women turned and left leaving Nova to stare back in horror. She had just met the queen of Asgard and failed to bow.

••••

Nova easily slipped past the guards again. Although he was suspicious, she assured him she was now sent by the queen (which was technically true) and would be quick to get the information she needed for a proper trial. By the time she made it to Loki's cell she was disheveled and anxious. The worried look on her face made the god turn with a smile.

"Has all the lying finally gotten to your head?" he asked teasingly.

"No stupid, I just ran into your mother on the way down here and i'm beginning to grow concerned that she knew exactly where I was headed."

Loki tossed his head back with an eye roll, "My mother is a witch Nova, quite literally in fact. She has a talent for finding the truth whether we wish it upon her or not. You're lucky however that my mother isn't interested in bailing you out to Odin himself, she has a sweet spot for Thor and would never put his prized possession at risk."

At his words it was Nova's turn to roll her eyes, "Or maybe your mother has a sweet spot for you and isn't interested in keeping her loved son down here in a cell to rot."

The freckled girl finally stopped pacing to let a sigh escape her lips. She needed to think and act quickly because the game she was playing wasn't one she was fond of. Sneaking around the palace was one thing, but lying to Thor was another. As much as she told herself she was doing the right thing, she began to wonder if the right thing was to stay out of brotherly brawls.

She finally turned to the god with thoughtful eyes hoping he would drop his sarcastic nature to hear her clearly. "Listen, i'm trying to get you out of here but Thor is more stubborn than he looks. I know he loves you but he's hurt and won't let it go. You gotta work with me here, is there anyone else in this place that would be willing to help?"

Loki let out a grim laugh, his eyes glowing with green amusement.

"Willing to help you get the God of Mischief out of containment you mean? Goodness Nova must you be so naive? Nobody wants me roaming around, they fear me. I have created chaos across the realms that won't be forgotten so easily. It is a lost cause I don't know why you must bother with such a pointless task."

Nova heard footsteps approaching but was too stubborn to let him get the last word, "your brother loves you Loki and so does your mother. I don't care what you did, it's in the past. I will fix this, I have to, I won't be able to settle until I do."

Her words were more reassuring to her than the god, for Loki already knew her efforts would be a dead end in his favor.

So he simply shook his head meeting her glossy brown eyes to mutter, "some things are meant to stay broken dear."

By the time Nova opened her mouth to respond guards were approaching with loud steps. She knew better than to run, getting taken by guards seemed better than lost in a maze of aggressive prisoners. She held her back up straighter pulling a calm expression onto her face.

"I just need a few more moments with this one," she said innocently, but the built guard took her arm forcefully shaking his head.

"I know you're not supposed to be down here, so you best come with me."

Nova's heart began to race in panic as the arm around her tightened. He would surely take her straight to Odin, then what would she say? She would be banished back to earth before she could have the chance to say goodbye to Thor. The God of Thunder would never forgive her for it. She couldn't go, she wouldn't.

Nova shoved her heels hard into the ground and pushed at the guard's arm, "I told you I'm not done here, now get off me."

By then even Loki eyed her wearily in his cell. In her head she knew she was no match for an Asgardian guard, but her heart burned with something else.

When the man's grip took to her waist she let out a horrid scream of protest. Her mind filled with blind rage, her hands shook with anger. Before she knew it her chest electrified with power. The sensation took over her senses, leaving her clueless to the bolt of lightning striking the man in the shoulder. The energy shot both her and the guard backwards. Nova tasted blood in her mouth on the impact of the floor touching her fragile skin.

The lights flickered unevenly when she got a grip back on her body and pulled herself forward from the ground. Loki's voice hummed through her ears but she couldn't seem to find his face. His normally cool tone was full of panic, but her blurry mind didn't seem to notice. In fact her head was spinning with such confusion, that she couldn't manage to find her feet again.

She looked to the guard instead, afraid of the reality of the scene. There he laid, blood trickling from his head and clothing burnt slightly from the electricity he was struck with. For once in Nova's life she felt unearthly, immortal even, because the power he was met with didn't come from the God of Thunder. It came from her.

———

🤭🤭