Second Date/Day 4 - B, R

"No way you can fit that many fries in your mouth," Ryan laughed.

"Bet!" Ryan continued to laugh as Brendon started to shove fry after fry in his mouth. The two were at the park sitting on the hood of Ryan's truck. They had a few orders of fries and burgers between them. They had been mindlessly eating, talking between mouth fulls when Brendon said he could fit the rest of the fries into his mouth at once. He had almost a medium sized amount of fries smooshed in his mouth before his cheeks couldn't stretch any further.

Ryan fell lightly onto his windshield, clutch his stomach as Brendon turned red faced and struggled to bite through the potato. With some struggle, Brendon managed to swallow is fry load and take a gulp from his slushie.

"Didn't finish all the fries, but very impressive," Ryan chuckled as he wiped away a tear. Brendon had on a wide smile and stuck another fry in his mouth.

"My mom used to say I looked like a chipmunk because of how much food I could fit in mouth." Ryan shook his head and took a bite from his burger.

"Well you managed to eat through half our fries in one bite," Ryan joked after swallowing. Brendon gave an apologetic smile and a shrug before biting into his own burger.

"Are you coming to my game tomorrow?"

"I'm not sure," Brendon's head was down, but his head was tilted just barely so he could look over at Ryan. "Why? Want me there, cheering with all the other guy's girlfriends?" He teasingly asked. Ryan turned away to laugh as a way to disguise his light blush.

"Friends and family will be there too. Doesn't only have to be a significant other." Brendon smirked and ignored the slight disappointment he got from the statement.

"Then I think you'll probably have plenty of people cheering you on. You wouldn't need me there."

"I'd like you to be there though," Ryan spoke down to his burger. "I'm sure the game could play better with you cheering m- us on. The team always appreciates the support." He mixed a few fries in with his next bite.

"Maybe I'll come to watch for a little. We'll see." They two took their time finishing their meal, talking about anything that came to mind, school, sports, Dottie. Before they knew it, they were leaning back on the windshield, staring at the starry night sky.

Brendon sat up suddenly and pushed Ryan's shoulder before hopping off the car without a word. Confused, Ryan followed, not really questioning Brendon's randomness. Soon, they were standing in front of the park's lake. Ryan turned to Brendon with a raised eyebrow. With a smile, Brendon pointed out to the water.

"I dare you to jump in," he giggled. Ryan's eyes went wide as he whipped his head between the calming water and Brendon.

"You're kidding. It's probably freezing." Brendon had on a proud smile, happy with his dare. Ryan stared at him for a second, pointlessly hoping he'd change his mind. With a defeated sigh, Ryan kicked off his shoes and tugged his shirt over his head.

"You gotta completely submerge your body," Brendon smirked, trying not to focus on the fact that Ryan was practically naked at the moment.

Ryan nodded and moved over to the lake. He dipped the tip of his foot in the water first causing his skin to goosebump all over. He groaned to himself. If he hadn't needed to shower after practice, he was really gonna need to wash up after this. With a deep breath he pushed his body forward into the lake.

He kept his arms hovering over the water, not ready to be completely wet just yet. When he felt he was deep enough, he took a deep breath and plunged his body below the surface. It wouldn't have been so bad if the sun were still out.

When he resurfaced, he moved quickly back to shore. Brendon had his clothes ready to hand to him. He chuckled softly as he helped Ryan fit his trembling arms through the sleeves.

"The water's cold." Ryan shivered slightly. What did he expected from a lake at night? He was grateful he had on a small jacket.

"I agree," Brendon smiled. Ryan turned to Brendon, ignoring his own light shaking. Brendon only had a short sleeved shirt on and the late night breeze to make it a little chilly.

"You're cold?" Ryan asked. Brendon gave a shrug.

"Not as cold as you, I'm sure." Ryan grabbed Brendon's hand and marched them back to the truck. He didn't mind his chilling body, more concerned with Brendon at the moment.

He pulled his door open, reaching into the back seat. Ryan leaned back with a jacket in his hand. He immediately wrapped it over Brendon's shoulders. Looking down, Brendon's eyes widened when he realized what he was wearing.

Their graduation year was sewed to the sleeve and patches and pins were decorating the front. Brendon didn't need to look to know the name Ross could read across the back.

"Is that better?" Brendon blushed softly, ducking into the jacket that made him feel small.

"Shouldn't you wear this? You're the one who just dove into a lake because of me." Ryan shrugged and smiled. He brought his hands to the opening of the jacket and folded them over each other to close the front.

"I'm okay. You can keep it warm for me." Brendon mumbled an 'okay', happy the dark sky could conceal his reddening cheeks. "It's getting late. I should probably get you home."

Brendon nodded and went around to the passenger side of the car. The whole car ride was basically silent, but it was nice. Brendon kept Ryan's letterman jacket wrapped around his body, feeling insanely cozy. Ryan eventually pulled up to the front of Brendon's house.

He jumped out of the driver's seat and walked around to open Brendon's door. He helped him out and they walked slowly to the door. Brendon's heart was bumping faster than he should've for such a small gesture.

The moment suddenly felt so clique, the jacket, walking him to the door. What next? Was Ryan going to kiss him?

Brendon's breath caught in his throat. Wait! Was Ryan going to kiss him? Was he ready for that? Is this moving too fast? Why was he suddenly panicking? Of course he watched to kiss Ryan after a date like that, but..

He was trying to tame his breathing when Ryan reached up and brushed a strand of hair behind his ear. He tried telling himself of awfully cheesy the move was. Ryan's hand lingered against his neck.

Brendon found it impossibly hard now to look away from Ryan's darkening eyes. They were staring so intensely at him. He was gonna explode if neither of them moved in the next three seconds.

He noticed Ryan inching closer and he wasn't sure his poor heart could take all this stress. He shut his eyes and would just let it happen. He gasped softly when Ryan placed a gentle kiss on his cheek before pulling away.

"Thank you letting me take you out," Ryan said warmly. Brendon could only nod. Ryan stood for a moment more before whisper a 'goodnight' and turning down the path to his car.

Brendon was dumbfounded. He swore Ryan would've kissed him. Why wouldn't he? Would Brendon have been ready? A second's thought and Brendon decided that no, he wasn't ready for that kiss. He wasn't ready for what it would do to their current relationship. He wanted to think through his feelings before taking things any further.

Brendon smiled to himself, his hand came up to the cheek that had been blessed with a kiss. He wasn't ready and Ryan must've seen that. He cared enough to only do what he believed Brendon would be comfortable with.

His free hand went to tug the jacket tighter around his body. He liked how big it fit on his slim body. He popped his head up in realization and turned his head to Ryan.

"Hey!" He called, getting Ryan to turn around. Brendon ran up to him and shrugged off the jacket. "You forgot this." Ryan took the jacket and wrapped it back around Brendon.

"I dare you to wear it all day tomorrow and not give it back until I drop you off after my game." Ryan grinned and moved back to his car without another word. Brendon waved 'bye' as Ryan drove off, jacket snug around him.

---

A/N:

Longer chapter, but hope you enjoy it. Thanks for all the reads, comments, and votes! Love you all ❤❤