IV. No Time

The group found themselves transported outside a city, a cold breeze taking most of them by surprise. Luke, Hunter, and Aria held themselves, shivering.

"What the-" Aria shivered.
"What the hell," Hunter muttered.
"I have transported us to Nagahama, the city closest to Mt. Ibuki," Ryū explained.
"You could have warned us it'd be this cold," Aria grumbled.
The rest then looked to Kai, Lena, and Dai, who seemed unaffected.
"How are you all not freezing?" Luke asked.
Dai and Lena looked at each other.
"Cold weather doesn't affect ice Gifted," Dai explained.
"And I can keep myself warm," Kai said, "I'm also not affected by hot weather."
"And we can keep ourselves cool when hot," Lena added.
"Well, aren't you all just lucky," Hunter grumbled.
"Enough," Ryū said, and fire overtook him for a moment. Once it cleared, it became apparent he used his magic to change his outfit into a coat with a snow cap.

"We will go into town to get you winter gear," Ryū explained, "First, we must go find a place to stay. I'll also go see what I can do about procuring some money."
"This doesn't sound like a very thought-out plan," Dai said.
"Given the dire circumstances, we must not wait too long," Ryū said, "Now, come. We must find a hotel."
He then led the group into Nagahama, which was a fairly big city.

As they roamed the streets, the young Gifted looked around at all the sights and sounds. People hustled to and fro in cars and on foot along the streets, with a few shops and restaurants lining them. They could see many tourist spots as well, and passed by a small dock connecting with Lake Biwa. Further ahead, they could also see an old castle, it standing tall and firm against the blue sky.

"Wow," Luke said, still holding himself.
"Yeah," Aria said, "This would be nice for a vacation."
"No argument there," Luke agreed, and the two chuckled. They looked at each other briefly before the group retook their attention.
"There appears to be an inn up ahead," Ryū said, "We'll settle there."

The group approached the inn and went inside. It was a small lobby, and didn't seem to attract too many guests. While Ryū spoke with the concierge, the group huddled together on the two sofas off in the corner of the lobby.
"Well, at least we won't be here too long," Kai said.
"Assuming it'll be easy enough to break Jace out," Dai reminded.
"We got Ryū, it'll be easy," Luke shrugged.
"Uh, Ryū said he can't just unveil his full power and just nuke the place," Dai said, "Whatever his reasons are, and honestly, after the... thing... with The Bolt, I don't blame him."
"Maybe he doesn't want people to think he'll attack this city or something," Aria suggested.
"Let's just focus on Jace," Lena said, "He's what matters right now, not Ryū."
"Mm, yes," Dai agreed, "We need to stay focused on our objective."

Hunter just sat furthest away, listening to them talk. He scowled, but quickly straightened up as Ryū came over.
"Okay, I got us a couple rooms. Lena and Aria, Luke will be staying with you, while the twins and Hunter will stay with me," he explained.
"When are we gonna go to get Jace?" Lena asked.
"Patience," Ryū said, "We must come up with a plan first."
"We can't waste any more time!" Lena objected, "We-"
"Lena," Ryū interrupted, "I understand your feelings but we cannot just run in head on. Especially when I cannot allow myself to use my full power."
Lena just looked at him, annoyed.
"Now, come on," Ryū said, "We must get settled, and then we'll find wintry clothing for those who need some."

They then headed up the nearby staircase towards their rooms.

❄️

Once everyone had gotten their room, Ryū headed out with Aria, Luke, and Hunter to get them coats and any necessary winter accessories. They left Dai, Kai, and Lena in the bland rooms.

Lena sat on the side of one of the beds in her room impatiently. She kept staring at the message sent from Jace to her. Her thumbs hovered over the keyboard, wanting to tell him that she is almost there.
She resisted the temptation, and shut off her phone before tossing it to the adjacent bed.
She leaned forward, resting her chin on her hands, tapping her feet incessantly.

Eventually, she stood up and grabbed her phone, stuffing it into her pocket. She hurried out of the room and practically banged on the twins' door.
Dai opened it, startled.
"Lena, what is wrong?" he asked.
"I can't wait," she said.
"What?"
"I can't wait for the others to go on their shopping spree and then for us to just sit down and plan. Jace needs us sooner, not later! And I know you're probably going to tell me we should wait but-"
"Whoa whoa, hold on," Dai said, holding his hands up, "I hear you."
"Huh?"
"I agree," Dai said, "Though, I don't like going without some kind of plan. We don't even know what the place is like."
"I know, but I'll figure it out," Lena huffed, "Just, let the others know."
"I suppose," Dai said, "Just be careful, please. This isn't gonna be like The Bolt. These people would want to kill you of their own volition."
Lena paused, taking a deep breath, a stern look on her face.
"I know."
Dai paused too, then pulled off his blue hoodie, revealing the black t-shirt he wore underneath.
"Take this," he said, "It'd help to hide your identity. Your hair is kind of difficult to miss. And once you get him out, there's no doubt the Bàs Fuar will want to hunt you down."
Lena took the hoodie, "Uh, thanks."

She then put it on. It was rather large on her, so she started to fix that by tucking the sleeves.
"Not sure how I'll fight in this, if it comes down to it," she said.
"Don't worry," Dai smiled, "Maybe you could wear it as a sort of cape?"
"Hah, no," Lena smiled back, "I guess I'll just have to make it work."
Dai then sighed, "Please be careful. I'll have everyone get out on the streets to be ready, just in case."
"Thanks," Lena said, and she hurried off down the hall toward the staircase.

She quickly made her way to the first floor, and practically bolted out the door. She jogged down the street as the dark clouds loomed overhead, darkening the area ever so slightly. The mountain loomed in the distance, covered in snow and forest. A determined look crossed Lena's face as she hurried towards it.