20.

Zuria
5 months later

"Zuria!" I heard Retta calling me in my sleep.

"Zuri." She called again as I popped up, looking around.

"What?" I spoke groggily as I squinted my eyes at the sun shining brightly into the room.

"What time it is?" I asked, running my fingers through my hair.

"Girl, it's noon. It's time to get up." She said to me as I looked around the empty room and down at the air mattress that I was sleeping on, that was slightly deflated from me laying here so long.

"And my landlord is coming in about an hour for an inspection so I'm going to need you to help me straighten up a little bit." She expressed and I nodded slowly.

"After that, we're going to go job searching again." She said and I sighed deeply, nodding.

"Okay. Just let me get up and get myself ready." I told her and she did as I said, leaving the room.

Sitting there a while as I picked my brain, I couldn't even believe that this was my life now. For the past five months it's been hell for me.

Mitch ended up selling the house after about two months without even saying anything to me. Leaving me with no where to go. The five thousand dollars he did give me, I combined it with the small savings I'd had, simply trying to keep the house up and bills paid for the first two months but after he sold it, all of that money basically went to waste.

Ms. Gladys and my mother were still being advocates for Mitch, claiming they didn't want to be involved in this petty mess that we were creating for ourselves so now I was living Retta, in her very small two bed room apartment.

Clearing my throat, I stood to my feet and stretched my body out. I then began to straighten up the room a little, rolling the air mattress back up and putting it back into the box.

"Z, are you up?" Retta knocked on the door and I couldn't help but to roll my eyes.

"Yeah." I replied, grabbing clothes from one of my duffle bags.

"Alright, cool. I made food too if you want some." She went onto say and I nodded, keeping note of that. I just needed to get my hygiene together first before anything else.

After grabbing the clothes I would wear today, I made my out of the room and down the hall toward the bathroom. Closing the door behind me, I looked in the small mirror, seeing that my hair was a mess and my nails were chipped and all I had left at this point was my dignity.

After sulking for a minute, I finally got undressed and began my hygiene routine. It took me no more than 20 minutes since the hot water seemed to always be nonexistent after a while of showering in here.

I had to make due with what I could.

After I was finished with my shower then my oral hygiene, I got dressed and made my way back to my room to put everything back into my bags.

"Hey, Z. I think we should go down to my job again and she if they'll hire you." Retta spoke as I did before I walked back out of the room and met her in the kitchen.

"I think they might hire you this time." She went on and I shook my head in defeat.

"I'm not going back there to be disappointed again, Retta." I explained to her, since we'd already tried and they'd denied me multiple times which was insane to me, considering it was gentlemen's club.

Who the hell were they to be picky.

"Plus I don't really even want to be a bottle girl." I rolled my eyes at the thought. That wasn't my cup of tea, that was her thing.