Chapter 14

Cassia was quiet when Sebastian got home. He considered broaching the idea of seeing a doctor again, but eventually he decided against it. She had more colour in her cheeks now that she was warm, and she was eating. She didn't look feverish. Her cough had almost cleared up.

Whatever was wrong was in her head, but something about her demeanour told him that he shouldn't pry.

He didn't initiate sex that night either, wary of making the wrong move. They were walking on eggshells.

He was always the one to end his relationships. He was always the first to be ready. But he wasn't ready yet. Was she?

He wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer.

Long before dawn broke on Christmas Eve, they rose and went their separate ways. Cassia travelled to the mortuary to perform Swan Smith's post-mortem with Zacharias, even though it was her day off. Sebastian went to interview Joe Davies, Swan's fiancé.

He met Otto outside the building Joe lived in, and he was pleased when he saw his sergeant holding two cups of coffee. He didn't know how he'd be able to face his problems without caffeine.

"Good morning, sir." Otto handed him a paper cup. "Merry Christmas Eve."

"It feels very merry," Sebastian said dryly. "Let's get this over with."

They entered the brownstone skyscraper and rode a lift to the penultimate floor. Sebastian reckoned Joe probably had a view like his. A view Cassia would love.

They rang Joe's doorbell and asked the camera if they could enter. While they waited for a response, Otto frowned at Sebastian. "Are you okay, sir?"

"Yes. Why wouldn't I be?"

"The raincloud's come back."

He sighed. "I'm worried about Cassia. She isn't herself."

"Inspector Rames told me that you're together. It's the first time I've ever seen a woman worry you."

A voice came over the intercom. "Who is it?"

"Inspector Flynn," Sebastian said, "and Sergeant Gibbs, Socrico Police." He held his warrant card up to the camera.

"Come in." The door swung open.

Joe Davies was standing behind it, dressed in faded jeans and a crumpled shirt. His eyes were red, and his dark hair was sticking up at odd angles. He was a surgeon himself, part of the Accident and Emergency Department, and Sebastian imagined that he'd delivered bad news before. It didn't make your own any easier to swallow.

"Come through," he said softly, turning and padding into the living room.

Sebastian and Otto followed him. Immediately, Sebastian saw that he'd been right: full windows spanned the far wall, framing buildings that ached to touch the sky and neon signs that would look breath-taking at night. He realised Cassia had made him love them as much as she did.

The three of them sat on a pair of sofas beside the window. The room was modern: white walls, glass tables, sharp edges. But there was a touch of feminine homeliness, too, in the form of fluffy cushions and a giant lavender-scented candle burned down to half its wick.

"We're very sorry to bother you," Sebastian said. "I understand someone took your statement yesterday, but there are just a few things I wanted to go over myself."

Joe swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing. "Of course."

"When did you last see Swan?"

"Yesterday morning, before she went to work. Her shift started early. I made her breakfast and saw her off." His eyes shone, and he blinked fiercely. "The last thing I ever told her was to have a good day."