Chapter 20

Serendipity POV

“I will always find you, little witch. You can’t get away that easy,” Loki says, trying to be funny. I smile at his joke and nest into his chest. I try to focus on Loki holding me, but it’s hard with all my bruises and broken fingers and missing scales. He came for me. When he didn’t do anything when those men burst in for another scale sample… I didn’t know what to think. I was angry. I was terrified. But I looked down, and didn’t acknowledge him until I fell to the ground and he helped me get the ropes off. 

Once again, I find myself wondering; why don’t I go back to the water? I’m starting to think that humans are more trouble than they’re worth. 

Jolting me out of my thoughts, Loki carefully sets me in the back of an ambulance, muttering an apology as I wince. The moment he lets go, I’m swarmed by all these people. Before anyone can do anything, he grabs each of them individually, asking them something, before letting them come back again. They’re all touching me and asking questions and shining lights in my face. As he slips away, I grab the edge of Loki’s shirt, pulling him back through the people and trying to put him in front of me like a shield. All of the others are visibly annoyed with me, but I don’t want them touching me. 

Loki glances over his shoulder at me, then back to the people. He says something to them and they all back off a bit. He turns around and squats down, putting his hands on either side of me for balance. 

“They’re just here to help you, little witch,” He says gently. I shake my head. I don’t want them touching me. 

“I understand you don’t want them touching you, but they just want to help you. I would ask them to leave you alone,” He says, I nod, looking at him and silently asking him to do that. “But you aren’t healing. You look exhausted, and you’re missing so many scales I doubt you can even change back.” I bite my lip and look away from him. He’s right. I’m tired, I’m dehydrated, and I can’t change back. I’ve tried. I was in those ropes almost three days straight, and it would have been more if he hadn’t come; I would have changed and left if I could, but I can’t. 

“If I stay here will you let them help?” He asks me, quiet. I nod, and he stands up, gesturing to the people again. They all close in, and my fingers clench harder around his sleeve. He gently pries them off and takes my hand before pushing me over slightly so he can sit next to me. I let them poke and prod me, putting things on bruises and wrapping bandages around my tail. I don’t like feeling like a science experiment, and I squeeze Loki’s hand, trying to stay calm. He doesn’t respond, but squeezes back.

As we’re getting down to the last three people, agent Hill comes over and asks for Loki. I look at him, panicked. Please don’t leave me here. I want to tell him. 

“I’ll be just over there, Serendipity,” He says, gesturing to a few feet from the truck. He used my name. I owe him that much. I let go of his hand and clench my jaw, thinking about anything other than what’s happening right here. That’s what I did before. I watch Maria and Loki talk, her face is emotionless, her gaze busy, always on alert. She says something, and Loki’s face darkens for a moment. Once they’re done taking, he brings agent hill over to me. 

“I need to go back in for a few minutes,” He says, and panic fills my body again. I frantically shake my head. He can’t leave. Not now. “I know you don’t want me to,” He says, for my ears only. “Agent Hill is going to stand right here, so you’ll be safe. I’ll be back as soon as I can, darling,” He says, leaving before I have time to argue. True to his word, Maria stands near me, one hand on her gun, watching everything. Then it hits me.

He called me darling.

A blush rises over my face. He called me darling. Loki called me darling. Despite everything happening, a small smile cracks across my face. As I’m giggling in my mind about Loki, I see Fury and all the other agents come back out. I straighten up, trying to see if Loki is with them. He isn’t. I frown, and, just like everything else, Maria notices.