Letters

Letters

"I wonder what they tried to take." commented Ron the next morning as they sat at the Slytherin table for breakfast. He passed the newspaper to Hadrian and the raven tilted his head.

"Whatever it is.. Dumbledore has it. While Draco and I were at Gringott's, that half-giant, Hagrid, retrieved something from that vault. There's no doubt that whatever it is, is now here in the castle." he said and Neville raised a brow. "Think it has something to do with the horrible death that Dumbledore mentioned?" he asked and Draco nodded. "Definitely. I just don't understand why he would bring something of extreme importance here." said the blonde and Hadrian hummed.

"Well if it were me, I'd want the object somewhere I could always keep track of it. Dumbledore is always here. Which means he would have no choice but to bring it here as well. And perhaps he's trying to lure someone to it." mused the raven and Blaise looked up from his book. "But who?"

At this a pair of crimson eyes flashed in Hadrian's mind and he wondered if the Dark Lord knew about the stone. Most likely with how old he was said to be. But he couldn't just sneak into the school.. right?

"Mail's here!" called someone from the other tables and the Slytherins looked up as the owls flew in. Hadrian smiled at seeing Hephestas at the head of the group with a parcel and a few letters attached to his leg.

Anubis grumbled in annoyance about noisy birds and Hadrian chuckled as Hephestas landed. "Thank you Hephestas. Take a few sausages." he said and the bird hooted, nudging Hadrian affectionately then leaning over his plate and taking a sausage.

When Hadrian opened the first letter, he didn't recognize the neat scroll inside.

Dear cub,

Hello Hadrian. I know it is strange receiving a letter from someone you have yet to meet but I was excited upon hearing that you had just started at Hogwarts. Severus had informed me that you were sorted into Slytherin and I must say I'm very proud of you. I know Sirius would be too.

Oh my, I haven't even introduced myself.

My name is Remus John Lupin. I'm a close friend of your father's. In fact I'm his best friend. I am also one of your Godfathers. The others include Severus and Lucius. I am in hiding at the moment and can't see you but hopefully that will change.

Severus told me about how he found you. I am truly sorry those muggles placed you in an orphanage. If anything were to happen to Sirius or your mother, you were supposed to go to me or Severus and Lucius. But of course that old goat had to interfere.

Anyways.. I suppose I should tell you a bit about myself. You know my name, at the moment I am thirty one and in school I was a Ravenclaw along with your mother. My favorite color is blue and I happen to be a werewolf.

What about you? What are you like?

Oh and the parcel is just a little gift for missing all your birthdays. I hope you like it.

Your Godfather,

Moony

Hadrian felt a smile tugging at his lips and he reached for the parcel. Inside were books of all kinds and a silver mirror. It had a note attached to it.

This mirror is a communication device. When you are alone or around those you trust, just speak my name and I will answer.

Moony.

"Who's it from?" asked Draco as he looked up from his own letter and Hadrian smiled. "My other Godfather. Remus. They're birthday gifts." he said and vanished them to his room. The other letters were from Lucius and Narcissa, congratulating him on Slytherin.

But the last...

Dear little King,

Hello Hadrian. I am sure you most likely don't remember me. You were far too young when we first met. My name is Tom Riddle or Lord Voldemort. The Dark Lord and other names that I'd rather not list because of how tedious they are.

I suppose you might be surprised. I am supposed to be 'vanquished'. I was for quite some time after Dumbledore attempted to kill you. I took the curse instead and was reduced to nothing but a spirit.

But enough on that.

Congratulations on being sorted into Slytherin. I myself was a Slytherin in school and I know you'll do brilliantly. I hope the other purebloods aren't giving you trouble, though I know you can handle yourself. I notice you have a snake familiar..would you happen to be a parselmouth? I myself am one and my familiar's name is Nagini.

At the moment she isn't with me but I hope to see her soon. What kind of snake is yours? It looks beautiful.

Ah what else should I say? I suppose I should give you some basic information about myself. I was born on December 31st, 1925. I never knew my parents, not really. My mother died giving birth to me and my father died.. by my own hands. My family are direct descendants of Salazar Slytherin and I was a half-blood. After a few painful rituals..

"Hadrian, we have to leave now." said Draco, causing the raven to look up from his letter. "Right." he said and placed the letter into his robes to read later.

His mind was spinning but he found himself smiling for some unknown reason.