book 1 - chapter 24

"A safe house." I echo. "In the outskirts of the city, you say?"

Tarrlok's assistant nods furiously. "Yes. That's all I know."

I eye her up and down. She's avoiding eye contact and rubbing her palms against her sides. As a very anxious person myself, I can pick up the signs when presented on other people. I furrow my eyebrows. "I get the feeling you're hiding something."

"Um, well..."

"Spill it!" I hiss, getting annoyed. Not be rude, but I'm kind of in a hurry. My best friend's life is on the line.

"I think I also have the Avatar's polar bear-dog?" She answers wearily.

I narrow my eyes at her. "You think?" I query. "Or you know?"

"Well, I found her alone, last night. She was crying and I took her in, but I'm still unsure. This way." She says, gesturing for me to follow her. "I'll take you to her and you'll see for yourself. There's an animal shelter across from City Hall, they're connected through the underground."

I raise my eyebrows in surprise, processing the information. Yet, I nod at her and waste no time following her through the maze that is City Hall. After some time, she stops at a door. She opens it to reveal several stables filled with different kinds of animals. At the end, I see a large, white tail that unmistakably belongs to my best friend's polar bear-dog. I'd recognize it anywhere. I did grow up with Naga as well.

I rush forward and open the gate for her. She immediately rushes to me and tackles me, licking my face multiple times. I chuckle. "It's good to see you too, Naga." I stand and take her big face in my arms, hugging her and petting her.

"So, I'm guessing it is the Avatar's?" Tarrlok's assistance asks, peeking in from behind Naga.

I nod. "Thank you." I sincerely say as I get on top of her saddle. "You have no idea how much you've helped."

With that, Naga takes off and we exit the animal shelter. The cool, evening air greets us, and I shiver slightly. Yet, as always, it's comforting. I pet Naga and lean down closer to her. "Do you have Korra's scent, girl?" I ask her.

She barks in return, indicating that she does. I'm feeling so relieved and confident now that I've got Naga with me. She's a part of Korra and I's childhood. She's they key to securing my best friend's safety.

Then, we're off to find Korra.

I've been riding Naga for quite a while now. We crossed Republic City's border a few kilometers back. We've reached a point where everything is covered by snow. Feeling in my element, a sudden rush of confidence scurries through me. I can tell I'm close.

As we're going up a hill, I see a wooden cottage nearing in. The safe house.

"Councilman Tarrlok has a safe house in the outskirts of Republic City. He built it in case of an emergency, such as an invasion or a sudden attack." The squeaky voice echoes through my head.

"Faster, Naga!" I command, as her steps quicken even further.

Once we reach the top, I jump off Naga and we hide behind some trees. As I scan our surroundings, I notice there's a truck. I see the door open; someone comes out carrying a body. I get goosebumps all over my skin. When the person turns slightly to the side, I recognize them immediately.

Amon.

I gulp as my head starts reeling. I need a plan, some kind of strategy. I could sneak into the house, yet that doesn't take into account how many equalists there are inside. Or, I could attempt to take on Amon by myself. That has its own problems, and even if I do manage to beat him, I'm in the same stump from the first scenario.