The Last of Us Part 2

Ok, Before we get into this; some of you may notice that I deleted my previous chapter on Part 2. That's because I want to make this honest review after I've finished this game. So, here you go.

Spoiler Warning; If you do want to play this game; this will spoil the entire story. You have been warned.

Before anyone wants to attack me for this, please read through everything I have to say, because I have some points to bring to the table.

Let start it off with this: I don't think this is a good game. I believe this game is very poor and is very lacking in a lot of areas. Now don't get me wrong, I loved the first one. I preordered this game almost as soon as I was able to, because I was really excited to play this, but my hopes were crushed. If you're trying to figure out if this game is worth it: It's not. And here's why.

This is all my personal opinion, don't let this stop you from buying the game if your really want to. The story started off fantastic, the first 3-4 hours of this game that is the prologue is absolutely amazing. They establish a solid story, they show us that Joel and Ellie are in a rough relationship thanks to the dialogue. I love what they did in this first part, and I was so excited to play it. I cried when Joel died, but I don't think that's what brings this game down. In fact, I'm not angry that they killed Joel, I think it really helps the story and I love it.

It's everything that happens after is terrible. Ellie wants to avenge the man she saw as a father figure, even after all he did. You can tell she highly regrets their fight through the story with the flashbacks she has. And the gameplay mechanics (Ie: Fighting and Stealth) were outstanding. Honestly, the first half of this game is perfectly fine. It's not amazing, it's just ok.

Then we get to Abby. I don't understand what their thought process was, because it honestly confounds me. They try to trigger something in the player so that they start to second guess what they did in the first half of this game; but they do it so poorly. All of the characters they bring in are all assholes, save for maybe Owen and Mel, but when didn't get enough of them to really care for killing them. They try to show that Abby has good morals and wants to do what's right, but you can tell from the dialogue or everyone else that Abby is a downright terrible person. She betrays absolutely everyone for two kids, she barely even knows. Hell, Owen brings up this point! And then she kills everyone in her way with hesitation, for some supposed "Good Morals." This entire back half of the game is just completely contradicting what they were trying to establish.

And to make it worse, it's not even enjoyable to play. Their main selling point of extreme violence and combat has just kinda dulled down and left the player numb. I found myself not enjoying the combat that I spoke so highly of earlier. All this entire part did was make me want to kill Abby even more. Her morals were competent unhinged, she killed Joel, and she gave me almost 15 hours of just straight boring gameplay.

So then we finally get to the end, and the One. Single. Thing. I asked for doesn't even happen. Ellie, who had zero problem (Sorta) with killing off everyone else, fucking lets her go. So not only am I left feeling empty and pissed, but the entire basis of this game is just completely nullified. There wasn't any point in doing any of that, because there was very little character development, a story that was butchered, and nothing else. The best part do the game was maybe fun for 10 hours. And this game took me 35 (On Moderate) to beat. Honestly, if they would have just released a little movie with just the cutscenes, I would enjoy that 18 times more. Or even if they just cut the game in half and didn't give us any of the Abby part.

So in short, I recommend you do not play this game. The story gets butchered, there is 0 character development, and everything we played for becomes null and void. The ending isn't worth it, the story isn't worth it, and the combat is barely worth it. Do yourself a favor and play the first one, then leave it at that. Naughty Dog tried too hard to make a large Triple A title, and it completely destroyed the narrative story of The Last of Us.